1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball bearings

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    i am in need of a brass ball bearing with a bore dia of 1/4inch. can anyone tell me where i could find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A brass bearing? What is the purpose for specifying brass?

You need to specify outer diameter as well as load and speed requirements. There are a ton of things to spec out in a bearing.

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    i need brass because the use involves magnet and i don want to use any ferrous material. the load and speed is not a prob cuz the shaft gonna b manally rotated.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4
    Most ball bearings are constructed out of stainless steels, chromium, and phenolic materials. None of which have much of any magnetic properties. I think you would have a very hard time finding a brass ball bearing due to it being a rather soft alloy.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Like Topher mentioned, you can go with a 300 series stainless for the race materials and a phenolic cage. You may have an issue with the rolling elements depending on the bearing.

Even if the speed is low, the bearing will have to support a static weight. Depending on the tolerance you need in the bearing play, you could overload the bearing enough to eat up that radial play. Something to consider...

Take a look at the bearings in McMaster-Carr.

7. Nov 20, 2008 #6
    If you are turning it by hand do you really need a ball bearing? You may be able to use a bushing made out of brass or nylon etc.

8. Nov 20, 2008 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Nov 27, 2008 #8
    McMaster Carr has brass ball bearings. Not sure if you are looking for 1/4 ball bearings or ball bearings with a 1/4 hole through them. McMaster Carr has 1/4 inch brass ball bearings and if you are looking for ones with a hole you could bore them out pretty easily. I might be completely off on what your request is, I was just searching the internet for 1/2" brass ball bearings with a hole prebored and thought this might be what you are looking for.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?