Find a 1/4in Brass Ball Bearing

In summary, the individual is searching for a brass ball bearing with a bore diameter of 1/4 inch for a specific purpose involving a magnet. The load and speed requirements are not a concern as the shaft will be manually rotated. However, finding a brass ball bearing may be difficult due to its soft alloy. Alternative options such as stainless steel and phenolic materials are suggested, and ceramic bearings are also mentioned. McMaster Carr is recommended as a potential source for the desired brass ball bearing, and other options such as using a bushing or boring out a larger ball bearing are also suggested.
humanoid
i am in need of a brass ball bearing with a bore dia of 1/4inch. can anyone tell me where i could find it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A brass bearing? What is the purpose for specifying brass?

You need to specify outer diameter as well as load and speed requirements. There are a ton of things to spec out in a bearing.

FredGarvin said:
A brass bearing? What is the purpose for specifying brass?

You need to specify outer diameter as well as load and speed requirements. There are a ton of things to spec out in a bearing.

i need brass because the use involves magnet and i don want to use any ferrous material. the load and speed is not a prob because the shaft going to b manally rotated.

Most ball bearings are constructed out of stainless steels, chromium, and phenolic materials. None of which have much of any magnetic properties. I think you would have a very hard time finding a brass ball bearing due to it being a rather soft alloy.

humanoid said:
i need brass because the use involves magnet and i don want to use any ferrous material. the load and speed is not a prob because the shaft going to b manally rotated.
Like Topher mentioned, you can go with a 300 series stainless for the race materials and a phenolic cage. You may have an issue with the rolling elements depending on the bearing.

Even if the speed is low, the bearing will have to support a static weight. Depending on the tolerance you need in the bearing play, you could overload the bearing enough to eat up that radial play. Something to consider...

Take a look at the bearings in McMaster-Carr.

If you are turning it by hand do you really need a ball bearing? You may be able to use a bushing made out of brass or nylon etc.

McMaster Carr has brass ball bearings. Not sure if you are looking for 1/4 ball bearings or ball bearings with a 1/4 hole through them. McMaster Carr has 1/4 inch brass ball bearings and if you are looking for ones with a hole you could bore them out pretty easily. I might be completely off on what your request is, I was just searching the internet for 1/2" brass ball bearings with a hole prebored and thought this might be what you are looking for.

Last edited:

What is a 1/4in brass ball bearing?

A 1/4in brass ball bearing is a small, spherical metal component used in various mechanical and industrial applications. It is typically made of brass, a type of metal alloy known for its strength and corrosion resistance.

What are the dimensions of a 1/4in brass ball bearing?

As the name suggests, a 1/4in brass ball bearing has a diameter of 1/4 inch. It also has a width or thickness that is typically equal to its diameter. The exact dimensions may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer.

What are the benefits of using a 1/4in brass ball bearing?

A 1/4in brass ball bearing offers several benefits, including high strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion. It also has low friction and can withstand high temperatures and pressures, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

Where can I use a 1/4in brass ball bearing?

A 1/4in brass ball bearing can be used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is commonly used in bearings, valves, pumps, and other mechanical components that require smooth and precise movement.

How do I choose the right 1/4in brass ball bearing for my application?

The right 1/4in brass ball bearing for your application will depend on factors such as load capacity, speed, temperature, and environment. It is important to consult with a supplier or engineer to determine the most suitable bearing for your specific needs.