Can Work-Energy Formula Be Used to Solve Ball-Spring Collision?

In summary, the person initially attempted to solve a problem using the work-energy formula, but realized they had missed the collisions approach. They then attempted to use the work done on the ball and spring to calculate the final velocity, but did not account for the energy stored in the spring. The correct approach involves using conservation of momentum.
walking
Homework Statement
A ball collides with a spring and they stick together at maximum compression of the spring. Find the final speed of the spring.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum
qWHK8.png

I completely missed the collisions approach when I first tried to solve this and tried using the work-energy formula. I am wondering if this approach can be made to work? Here is my attempt:

So I let the work done on the ball be ##W_b## and work done on spring be ##W_s##. Then $$W_b=\Delta K = \frac{1}{2}m_b v^2-\frac{1}{2}m_bv_i^2$$ and $$W_s=\Delta K=\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2-0=\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2$$, where the final velocities are equal due to sticking together. Now I said that since the only force acting on spring is from the ball and the only force acting on the ball is the spring, then intuitively ##W_b=-Ws##. So $$\frac{1}{2}m_b(v_i^2-v^2)=\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2$$ or $$(m_s+m_b)v^2=m_bv_i^2$$ or $$v=v_i\sqrt{\frac{m_b}{m_s+m_b}}$$. But this is wrong unfortunately (answer is ##\frac{v_im_b}{m_s+m_b}## which I know how to obtain using the collisions approach).

Physics news on Phys.org
While you think you found the work done on the spring, what you actually expressed was the change in KE of the gun. And you set the decrease in KE of the bullet equal to the increase in KE of the gun. Ah, but some of that energy gets stored in the spring -- you left that out.

(You do need to use conservation of momentum as well.)

Likes Steve4Physics

What is a ball collides with a spring?

When a ball collides with a spring, the ball's kinetic energy is transferred to the spring, causing it to compress and store potential energy.

What factors affect the collision between a ball and a spring?

The factors that affect the collision between a ball and a spring include the mass and velocity of the ball, the stiffness and length of the spring, and the angle and surface of impact.

What happens after a ball collides with a spring?

After the collision, the spring will release the stored potential energy and push the ball away, causing it to bounce off the spring.

How does the collision between a ball and a spring relate to physics?

The collision between a ball and a spring is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

What are some real-life applications of a ball colliding with a spring?

Some real-life applications of a ball colliding with a spring include trampolines, pogo sticks, and shock absorbers in cars and other machinery.