Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball coordinates to cartesian coordinates

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    I am struggeling with the following problem:

give the x,y,z coordinates from the following ball points/vectors

1. (r, theta, phi) = (sqrt3, 3/4pi, 3/4pi)

2. (r, theta, phi) = (1, 1/6pi, 1 1/6pi)

the sollutions I found in my reader are as followed:

1. (x, y, z) = (-1/2 sqrt3, 1/2 sqrt3, -sqrt3/sqrt2)

2. (x, y, z) = 1/4 sqrt3, -1/4, 1/2 sqrt3)

can someone explain to me what was actually done here? I understand the conversion from carthesian coordinates to ball and cylinder coordinates but I can't seem to find the sollution for the other way around. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2004 #2
    These equations might be of some use...

4. Jul 20, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep. It seems the angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are interchanged though.
    It's funny. In my physics books the azimuthal angle is always [tex]\phi[/tex] and in most of my mathematics books it's [tex]\theta[/tex].
    Oh well, guess it doesn`t matter as long as you're aware of it.

5. Jul 20, 2004 #4

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I would suggest that, instead of plugging this into a set of "conversion equations", you draw the situation (or even build a little model with a box) so that you see how the quantities are related. Once you do this with one problem, the second will be much easier.

6. Jul 20, 2004 #5
    It brings this up.

:P

7. Jul 20, 2004 #6
    That's because notation is not as important as meaning, but we must always specify.

Using astronomy language, I always used [tex]\theta[/tex] for "declination" (angle from vertical axe) and [tex]\phi[/tex] for "Right ascension" (angle from horizontal axe from left to right)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?