1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball dropped in viscous oil

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an experiment to determine the viscosity of some oil, a ball is dropped into some oil. The position of the ball is given by the formula y=Y+At+Be-Ct. At t=0, y=0.070 m, the velocity dy/dt is 0 and the acceleration is 0.0983 m/s2. As t→∞ the velocity approaches 0.480 m/s. What is the value of Y in MKS units?

2. Relevant equations
    y=Y+At+Be-Ct
    vy(t)=A+-CBe-Ct
    ay(t)=C2Be-Ct

3. The attempt at a solution
    With four unknowns (Y,A,B,C), I came up with three equations:
    B+Y=0.070m
    A=CB
    BC2=0.0983

I wasn't sure what to do as t→∞

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2
    Looking at your velocity equation, what happens to the exponential term as t approaches infinity? What does the exponential function look like as its exponent approaches infinity? What if the exponential is in the denominator? Try using a graphing program or wolfram alpha to plot it.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    as t→∞ the exponent would turn to negative, therefore it would go to 0. But that would give me
    vy(∞)=A-CBe-C∞
    0.480=A-CB(1)

if A=CB

0.480=CB-CB

and

0.480≠0

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4
    You said the exponential term would go to zero but you plugged a 1 into your equation. Yes [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] goes to zero as t approaches [itex]\infty[/itex].

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    I skipped a step there, sorry. Yea I figured e^-Ct would go to 0 as t goes to infinity, but the math did not work out. Any more suggestions?

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6
    If the exponential term goes to 0 in your velocity equation, then you end up with 0.480=A correct? This gives you a 4th equation to solve for your 4 unknowns. Now you just have to do some algebra and solve the system of equations for Y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook