Calculating Speed of Ball After Racket Strike

• Thread starter Kickbladesama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball being struck by a racket and the resulting force on the ball shown in a graph. The formula for impulse (I=F x T) is mentioned and it is suggested to calculate the area under the graph to find the impulse. The formula F x T = m x v is also mentioned as a possible solution.
Kickbladesama

Homework Statement

A 116 g ball is traveling to the left with a speed of 34 m/s when it is struck by a racket. The force on the ball, directed to the right and applied over 21 ms of contact time, is shown in the graph. What is the speed of the ball immediately after it leaves the racket?

this graph comes with it
http://www.webassign.net/grr/p7-16.gif

Homework Equations

I know it has something to do with impluse so I = F x T

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
try [tex] F\Delta t = m\Delta v [/tex]

area under the graph = impulse, divide by mass = velocity

Yes, that formula is needed since [tex]I=\Delta \rho[/tex] where [tex]\Delta \rho[/tex]=change in momentum.
All you need to do to find the impulse is calculate the area under the graph.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket?

The speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket can be calculated by using the formula: speed = distance/time. First, measure the distance the ball traveled after being struck by the racket. Then, divide that distance by the time it took for the ball to travel that distance. This will give you the speed of the ball in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second).

2. What is the importance of calculating the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket?

Calculating the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket is important in order to understand the dynamics of the sport being played. It can also help players and coaches analyze and improve their technique, as well as provide valuable data for scientific research.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket, including the force and angle of the racket's impact, the weight and material of the ball, air resistance, and the surface on which the ball is struck.

4. Can the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket be greater than the initial racket speed?

Yes, it is possible for the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket to be greater than the initial racket speed. This can occur if the angle of the racket's impact and the elasticity of the ball cause it to rebound off the racket with greater speed.

5. How can technology be used to accurately measure the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket?

There are various technologies that can be used to accurately measure the speed of a ball after it is struck by a racket, such as radar guns, high-speed cameras, and motion sensors. These technologies can track the movement of the ball and calculate its speed with high precision.