1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball hitting a hanging rod

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rod of length L hangs on a nail. a ball of mass m hits and sticks to it. the rod rotates to angle θ.
    What is the velocity of the ball and what's the loss of energy.

2. Relevant equations
    Kinetic energy of a rigid body: ##E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##
    Angular momentum: ##I\omega##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Location of C.O.M:
    $$x_{c.m.}=\frac{mL+M\frac{L}{2}}{m+M}=\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)$$
    The potential energy at the inclined position, the final position:
    $$E_f=(m+M)g\cdot y_{c.m.}=(m+M)\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)g\cos\alpha=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha$$
    Ef equals the kinetic energy after the hit:
    $$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha=(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
    Conservation of angular momentum:
    $$mvL=I\omega \Rightarrow mvL=\left( mL^2+\frac{1}{3} ML^2 \right) \omega$$
    $$\Rightarrow v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right) }$$
    $$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right) \left[ \cos\alpha-\frac{1}{2m}\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M\right) \right]$$
    Is it true?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What baseline are you taking for the PE? As theta (alpha) increases, does the PE increase or decrease?

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3
    $$E_f=(m+M)g\cdot y_{c.m.}=(m+M)\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)g(1-\cos\alpha)=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)$$
    $$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
    $$v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) }$$
    $$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) \left[1-\frac{m}{2}\left( m+\frac{M}{3}\right) \right]$$

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The first two lines look fine.
    In the third you seem to have lost a 1/m. (Check the dimensions.)
    In the middle expression of the last line you seem to have lost an entire factor, but maybe that was just a transcription error.
    The final expression is dimensionally inconsistent (inside the square brackets you have a constant term minus a mass2 term).

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5
    $$v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\frac{1}{m}\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) }$$
    I don't think i missed a factor:
    $$\Delta E=E_f-\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
    $$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) \left[1-\frac{1}{2m}\left( m+\frac{M}{3}\right) \right]$$
    And the units are correct, at least

7. Aug 12, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Haven't you lost an 1/2?

8. Aug 12, 2015 #7
    $$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=\frac{1}{2}(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{2g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
    And i understand that the rest is good

9. Aug 12, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With the factor 2, it is correct.

10. Aug 12, 2015 #9
    Thank you ehild and haruspex (factor of 2...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted