Ball hitting a hanging rod: Velocity and Energy Loss Analysis

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Rod
In summary: I am sorry for the mistakes, here is the summary:In summary, a rod of length L hangs on a nail and a ball of mass m hits and sticks to it, causing the rod to rotate to an angle θ. The velocity of the ball can be calculated using the equations for kinetic energy and angular momentum of a rigid body. The loss of energy can be determined by comparing the potential energy at the inclined position to the kinetic energy after the hit. The equations for potential energy and kinetic energy after the hit involve the mass of the rod (M), the mass of the ball (m), the length of the rod (L), the acceleration due to gravity (g), and the angle of rotation (α). It
Karol

Homework Statement

A rod of length L hangs on a nail. a ball of mass m hits and sticks to it. the rod rotates to angle θ.
What is the velocity of the ball and what's the loss of energy.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of a rigid body: ##E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##
Angular momentum: ##I\omega##

The Attempt at a Solution

Location of C.O.M:
$$x_{c.m.}=\frac{mL+M\frac{L}{2}}{m+M}=\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)$$
The potential energy at the inclined position, the final position:
$$E_f=(m+M)g\cdot y_{c.m.}=(m+M)\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)g\cos\alpha=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha$$
Ef equals the kinetic energy after the hit:
$$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha=(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
Conservation of angular momentum:
$$mvL=I\omega \Rightarrow mvL=\left( mL^2+\frac{1}{3} ML^2 \right) \omega$$
$$\Rightarrow v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right) }$$
$$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)\cos\alpha-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right) \left[ \cos\alpha-\frac{1}{2m}\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M\right) \right]$$
Is it true?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
What baseline are you taking for the PE? As theta (alpha) increases, does the PE increase or decrease?

$$E_f=(m+M)g\cdot y_{c.m.}=(m+M)\frac{L}{m+M}\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)g(1-\cos\alpha)=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)$$
$$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
$$v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) }$$
$$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) \left[1-\frac{m}{2}\left( m+\frac{M}{3}\right) \right]$$

The first two lines look fine.
In the third you seem to have lost a 1/m. (Check the dimensions.)
In the middle expression of the last line you seem to have lost an entire factor, but maybe that was just a transcription error.
The final expression is dimensionally inconsistent (inside the square brackets you have a constant term minus a mass2 term).

$$v=\frac{ L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right) \omega }{m}=\frac{1}{m}\sqrt{Lg\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)\left(m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) }$$
I don't think i missed a factor:
$$\Delta E=E_f-\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
$$\Delta E=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha) \left[1-\frac{1}{2m}\left( m+\frac{M}{3}\right) \right]$$
And the units are correct, at least

Karol said:
$$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2$$

Haven't you lost an 1/2?

$$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=\frac{1}{2}(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{2g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
And i understand that the rest is good

Karol said:
$$E_f=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2\rightarrow Lg\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)=\frac{1}{2}(mL^2+\frac{1}{3}ML^2)\omega^2\Rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{2g\left( m+\frac{M}{2} \right)(1-\cos\alpha)}{L\left( m+\frac{1}{3}M \right)}$$
And i understand that the rest is good
With the factor 2, it is correct.

Thank you ehild and haruspex (factor of 2...)

What is the scientific explanation for a ball hitting a hanging rod?

The scientific explanation for a ball hitting a hanging rod involves the laws of motion and gravity. When the ball is released, it begins to accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity. As it falls, it gains momentum and kinetic energy. When it collides with the hanging rod, it transfers some of its momentum and energy to the rod, causing it to swing.

Why does the ball hit the hanging rod at a specific angle?

The angle at which the ball hits the hanging rod is determined by the initial velocity and direction of the ball, as well as the position and orientation of the rod. In addition, the force of gravity and air resistance also affect the trajectory of the ball, resulting in a specific angle of impact.

What factors can affect the speed of the ball when it hits the hanging rod?

The speed of the ball when it hits the hanging rod can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity of the ball, the mass and material of the ball and the rod, the angle of impact, and the presence of external forces like air resistance or friction.

How does the height of the hanging rod impact the collision with the ball?

The height of the hanging rod can impact the collision with the ball because it affects the potential energy of the ball. The higher the rod, the more potential energy the ball will have when it collides, resulting in a stronger impact and potentially altering the trajectory of the ball.

Can different types of balls result in different outcomes when hitting a hanging rod?

Yes, different types of balls can result in different outcomes when hitting a hanging rod. The mass, size, and material of the ball can affect its trajectory, speed, and impact on the hanging rod. For example, a heavier ball may cause a more forceful impact, while a lighter ball may bounce off the rod more easily.