1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball Hitting Stationary Blocks

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Objects A and C are made of different materials, with different “springiness,” but they have the same mass and are initially at rest. When ball B collides with object A, the ball ends up at rest. When ball B is thrown with the same speed and collides with object C, the ball rebounds to the left. Compare the velocities of A and C after the collisions. Is vA greater than, equal to, or less than vC?

1. vA > vC

2. vA = vC

3. vA < vC

2. Relevant equations

P=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that since the ball stopped in the case of A, all of the energy would be transferred to A and that it would have the higher final velocity. However, the correct answer was tha vC was greater than vA and I wasn't sure why

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The energy need not conserve during a collision, but the momentum conserves. Which of A and C get greater momentum during the collision?

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
    Ah I get it,

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted