Construct a Device to Transport a Ping Pong Ball to a Bucket

• Thread starter badgerfan21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, one possible solution to create a device that will transport a ping pong ball from behind a line to the inside of a bucket 4 feet away is to use 2 sheets of 8.5x11 paper to construct a base, a paper clip and masking tape as connectors, and a thin rubber band as the main moving part. Balloons can also be used as elastic bands, but their direction may be unpredictable. Another suggestion is to create a 4-foot long trough using the paper and tape, with the balloons used for vertical support.
badgerfan21
Create a device that will transport a ping pong ball from behind a line to the inside of a bucket 4 feet away. Device must hang from a 7 foot string attached ot the ceiling.

Materials:
2 sheets 8.5 X 11 inch paper
1 paper clip
2 balloons
1 strip of maskin tape 3 inches long
1 thin rubber band

Got any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you'll need to build some sort of slingshot, from my guess. Here's my analysis of materials:

2 sheets of 8.5x11 paper - not sure, maybe to fold/construct some sort of base/legs?
1 paper clip - connector
2 baloons - elastic = can be used as rubber bands. Can be inflated, but I see little purpose in that (although I could be wrong)
1 Strip of Masking tape - connector
1 thin rubber band - probably going to be the main moving part of your device.

Hope that helps,
illu45

Maybe you could inflate both the balloons and attach them to each other. You could use the paper as stabilisors and with the tape you could attach the balloons, paper and pingpongball to each other. With the rubber band and the paper clip you could get the balloons on the rope. But I think that the chances of succeeding with this rig are very small you can't predict in what direction the balloons will fly.

Just make a 4' long trough (sp?) out of the paper and tape. Form the trough for vertical strength so it can support its own weight when hung from the string in the middle of the trough length. You can use the balloons for the party after you win the prize...

1. How can I create a device to transport a ping pong ball to a bucket?

To create a device to transport a ping pong ball to a bucket, you will need to gather materials such as cardboard, rubber bands, tape, and a plastic cup. You will need to construct a ramp using the cardboard, secure the ramp in place with the rubber bands and tape, and attach the plastic cup to the bottom of the ramp to catch the ping pong ball.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of motion and gravity by creating a simple machine to transport a ping pong ball from one location to another. It also allows for hands-on exploration and experimentation with different materials and designs.

3. What are some tips for improving the device's performance?

To improve the device's performance, try adjusting the angle and height of the ramp, as well as the placement of the bucket. You can also experiment with different materials for the ramp and the cup, such as plastic vs. cardboard or a larger cup vs. a smaller cup.

4. Can this experiment be modified for different age groups?

Yes, this experiment can be modified for different age groups by adjusting the level of difficulty and the materials used. For younger children, simpler materials and a shorter ramp may be more appropriate, while older children can be challenged with more complex designs and materials.

5. What scientific concepts can be learned from this experiment?

This experiment can teach concepts such as motion, gravity, force, and simple machines. It also allows for hands-on learning and critical thinking skills as students make observations and adjustments to improve the device's performance.