Can a Ball in ℝn Be Proven as a Jordan Region with Zero Volume?

• Thread starter sammycaps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation was discussing a proof for showing that any ball in ℝn is a Jordan region, which can be done by breaking the circle up into pieces of lines and using a grid of squares to bound the volume of the circle. The TA's method used balls instead of squares, but the concept remains the same. The main challenge is adapting this proof to a curved line, but it is possible since the measures on the ball, open ball, and boundary are the same. The difference between Jordan and Lebesgue measures is similar to the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integrability, and in order to find a set that is not Jordan measurable, a countable union of Jordan measurable sets must be used.
sammycaps
I was trying to show that any ball in ℝn is a Jordan region, and this amounts to showing that its boundary has volume zero (Jordan content 0).

My TA proposed that you break the circle up into pieces of lines, and then adapt the following proof.

[
Pf: A Horizontal line of length 1 has content 0

A horizontal line of length 1 in ℝ2 has volume 0 because if you cover it by n intervals of length ε, you see that nε=1 (or something like 1+ε*γ for some γ<1, if ε doesn't divide 1).

So, then define a grid of squares with sides ε. Then the volume of the grid, which bounds the volume of the circle, is ε2*n but since nε=1 (or about 1), you get ε2*(1/ε)=ε, and so we can bound the volume by an arbitrary ε, so the boundary of the ball has content 0.
]

The TA actually did this with balls instead of squares (i.e. balls of radius ε), but since we're trying to prove that a ball is a Jordan region, I wasn't sure about this.Anyway, I was not sure how to adapt this proof to the curved line, since there is no guarantee that the curved line will only pass through n of the squares of volume ε2. I've seen at least 1 other way to do this with the compactness of the circle, but I was hoping that I could understand the TA's way.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you can adapt the proof. In such a case, where we have a compact set (the boundary) which is a Lebesgue null set, it is also a Jordan null set and vice versa. The two measures on ball, open ball, and boundary are the same. The Jordan measurable sets don't form a ##\sigma-##algebra, so in order to find a set which is of a different measure or not Jordan measurable at all, we have to find a countable union of Jordan measurable sets which is not Jordan measurable.

In the end it is the same difference than between Riemann integrability (Jordan measure) and Lebesgue integrability (Lebesgue measure) - and the ball isn't an example where the two are different.

1. What does it mean for "Ball is a Jordan Region"?

"Ball is a Jordan Region" refers to a mathematical theorem known as the Jordan Curve Theorem. It states that a simple closed curve (such as a circle) divides the plane into two regions, one of which contains the curve and one of which does not.

2. Who came up with the concept of "Ball is a Jordan Region"?

The Jordan Curve Theorem was first proven by French mathematician Camille Jordan in 1887. However, the concept of a Jordan region or a simple closed curve has been studied by mathematicians for centuries.

3. How is "Ball is a Jordan Region" used in mathematics?

The Jordan Curve Theorem has many applications in mathematics, particularly in topology and geometry. It helps to define and classify different types of curves and regions, and is often used in proofs and constructions.

4. Is the concept of "Ball is a Jordan Region" only applicable in two dimensions?

No, the Jordan Curve Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it states that a simple closed surface divides the space into two regions, one of which contains the surface and one of which does not.

5. Can the Jordan Curve Theorem be generalized to other shapes besides a ball or a circle?

Yes, the Jordan Curve Theorem can be generalized to other shapes such as ellipses, polygons, and even fractals. As long as the shape is simple and closed, the theorem holds true.