1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball is hit up in to the air

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    Ball is hit up in to the air....

Question:
    A baseball is hit almost straight up into the air with a speed of about 41 m/s.
    (a) How high does it go? (m)

(b) How long is it in the air? (s)

I think you probably just have to multiply or divide this number (41 m/s) by some sort of wind resistance ratio or number, but I have no idea what this would be since I've never had physics before and my teacher insists we don't need a book for this class.

Please help give me the tools and I can figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Re: Ball is hit up in to the air....

a)You have the standard 3 kinematics equations, right? Use them. Note that the only acceleration here is the one due to gravity, which is constant.

b)Same approach as before.

EDIT:You want to consider "wind"? That becomes difficult, especially if the wind is blowing upwards or downwards. You didn't provide any details as well.

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3

Like I said, I have no book and I am a week into (one class so far) my first physics class ever. So, NO I don't have kinematics equations or any idea what that is.

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

How would you do this without any equations? You may not need a textbook but you would surely need notes. If you're not given the equations, then you can look them up online on Google.

6. Aug 25, 2008 #5

I guess that's why I'm here. Because I couldn't do it.

I looked up the equations already. They call for acceleration, time, displacement, and velocity inputs on different variables.

I guess I am looking for displacement, but I am only given velocity. What do I do about the other two variables?

7. Aug 25, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

This post addresses the equations you will need:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Your initial velocity vo = 41 m/s
    You should ignore any wind considerations and the gravity constant you need is 9.8 m/s2

8. Aug 25, 2008 #7

Ok thanks, I think I need this equation:

x = x0 + v0(t) + (1/2) a t^2

In order to find how high, I am looking for x, right? That stands for displacement I assume.

So, I would substitute to get x= 0 + 41(t) + (1/2)(9.8)(t^2). Original position (xO) should be zero, right? Since it starts at the ground... and what should time be?

9. Aug 25, 2008 #8

....?

10. Aug 26, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You might figure the time a little differently first. You know that Vo is 41 m/s and you know that gravity will act to slow that down at 9.8 m/s2. The time to do that then is found with v=at or in this case you can solve for t with t = Vo/g were g is the 9.8 m/s2

Knowing the time then let's you find the distance with the simpler form of the equation x = 1/2 g * t2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?