Ball is hit up in to the air

• Thread starter wadesweatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Ball
In summary: So the ball would travel about 18.6 meters before coming to a stop. In summary, the ball is hit up into the air and it is estimated to reach a height of 18.6 meters before coming to a stop.
wadesweatt
Ball is hit up into the air...

Question:
A baseball is hit almost straight up into the air with a speed of about 41 m/s.
(a) How high does it go? (m)

(b) How long is it in the air? (s)

I think you probably just have to multiply or divide this number (41 m/s) by some sort of wind resistance ratio or number, but I have no idea what this would be since I've never had physics before and my teacher insists we don't need a book for this class.

Please help give me the tools and I can figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org

a)You have the standard 3 kinematics equations, right? Use them. Note that the only acceleration here is the one due to gravity, which is constant.

b)Same approach as before.

EDIT:You want to consider "wind"? That becomes difficult, especially if the wind is blowing upwards or downwards. You didn't provide any details as well.

Like I said, I have no book and I am a week into (one class so far) my first physics class ever. So, NO I don't have kinematics equations or any idea what that is.

How would you do this without any equations? You may not need a textbook but you would surely need notes. If you're not given the equations, then you can look them up online on Google.

Defennder said:
How would you do this without any equations?.

I guess that's why I'm here. Because I couldn't do it.

I looked up the equations already. They call for acceleration, time, displacement, and velocity inputs on different variables.

I guess I am looking for displacement, but I am only given velocity. What do I do about the other two variables?

wadesweatt said:
Like I said, I have no book and I am a week into (one class so far) my first physics class ever. So, NO I don't have kinematics equations or any idea what that is.

This post addresses the equations you will need:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Your initial velocity vo = 41 m/s
You should ignore any wind considerations and the gravity constant you need is 9.8 m/s2

Ok thanks, I think I need this equation:

x = x0 + v0(t) + (1/2) a t^2

In order to find how high, I am looking for x, right? That stands for displacement I assume.

So, I would substitute to get x= 0 + 41(t) + (1/2)(9.8)(t^2). Original position (xO) should be zero, right? Since it starts at the ground... and what should time be?

...?

wadesweatt said:
Ok thanks, I think I need this equation:

x = x0 + v0(t) + (1/2) a t^2

In order to find how high, I am looking for x, right? That stands for displacement I assume.

So, I would substitute to get x= 0 + 41(t) + (1/2)(9.8)(t^2). Original position (xO) should be zero, right? Since it starts at the ground... and what should time be?

You might figure the time a little differently first. You know that Vo is 41 m/s and you know that gravity will act to slow that down at 9.8 m/s2. The time to do that then is found with v=at or in this case you can solve for t with t = Vo/g were g is the 9.8 m/s2

Knowing the time then let's you find the distance with the simpler form of the equation x = 1/2 g * t2

What causes a ball to be hit up in to the air?

A ball can be hit up in to the air by applying force to it, either through a bat, racket, or other object, or by throwing it with enough velocity.

What factors affect how high a ball will go when hit up in to the air?

The initial force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is hit, and the air resistance all play a role in determining how high a ball will go when hit up in to the air.

Why does a ball eventually come back down to the ground after being hit up in to the air?

When a ball is hit up in to the air, gravity is constantly pulling on it, causing it to slow down and eventually fall back to the ground.

Can a ball be hit up in to the air in a vacuum?

Yes, a ball can be hit up in to the air in a vacuum, as long as there is initial force applied to it. However, without air resistance, the ball will continue to travel in a straight line until it collides with another object.

How does the height of the ball's starting point affect how high it will go when hit up in to the air?

The height of the ball's starting point does not affect how high it will go when hit up in to the air. As long as the initial force and angle remain the same, the ball will reach the same maximum height regardless of where it is initially hit from.