1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ball launcehd off a Cliff

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, you have a cliff with height h and you launch a ball off of it at speed v and angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. How long till it hit the ground?

2. Relevant equations

(1) Vsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = V[tex]_{y}[/tex]
    (2) V[tex]_{f}[/tex] = V[tex]_{y}[/tex] + at
    (3) d = ((V[tex]_{i}[/tex] + V[tex]_{f}[/tex])/2)*t

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so what I did was take equation (2) and set V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= 0. This alllows me to solve for the time that it takes to reach peak. Multiply this result by 2 to get the time when the ball is back to the plane of the cliff. Then for the time down to the ground I used equation (3) and plugged in V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{V^{2}_{i}+2gh}[/tex] for V[tex]_{f}[/tex]. Then I solved for t.

This lead to a result I feel looked to complicated for the question. Did I do this right?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Ok, I don't know why all my subscripts look like superscripts in this but they do. All those i's and f's are for intial and final velocity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook