Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Ball lightning and stars

1. Sep 1, 2017 #1
    Has the spectrum of a ball lightning ever been photographed?
    If so, does the spectrum look like the spectrum of any star?
    Could one say: the ball lightning is the smallest existing star?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2017 #2
  4. Sep 1, 2017 #3
    Great images.
    I guess the spectral lines correspond to the atmospherical gasses. Right?
    (The gasses have not been mentioned.)

Please tell me the essential difference apart from the location.

5. Sep 1, 2017 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

You can see the elements in the spectrum in Fig 4 b) & c). Shows iron, silicon, calcium, nitrogen and oxygen.

A star is a ball of nearly pure hydrogen and helium plasma held together by self-gravity, with fusion reactions occurring in its core. The latter requirement means that it has to be at least as massive as 10 Jupiters.
    A ball lighting is not as massive as 10+ Jupiters, hence can't maintain fusion. It's not held together by self-gravity. It's not made of helium and hydrogen plasma.
    It is a ball, though.

6. Sep 2, 2017 #5
    No, because typically a star is mostly hydrogen, and that is fusing into helium, because of gravity.
    Ball lightening (if it really exists), is a plasma state of matter generated by strong electromagnetism, as is normal lightening.
    Many weird tales and pictures of ball lightening exist, some of which are known to be fake.
    I think this so called phenomena is in the same category as crop circles.

7. Sep 2, 2017 #6
    Are you saying that articles published in scientific journals containing pictures and data of ball lightning are being faked by the scientists?

Although I think a few people have occasionally investigated crop circles, no one has ever seen one made by natural processes. Ball lightning has been directly observed descending from thunderstorm clouds.

8. Sep 2, 2017 #7

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Please. Keep this civil and responsible. Thanks! And yes, depending on the journal it is possible for really bad science to be published. That journal is a good peer reviewed journal.

9. Sep 2, 2017 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hope you're talking to rootone and not NFuller, who provided a reference. Rootone has essentially accused the authors of scientific misconduct: he needs to either retract that or back it up.

Getting back on topic, another difference is that a star produces its own energy. Ball lightning has only the energy it was created with.

10. Sep 2, 2017 #9
    I will retract from the implication that ball lightening is always some kind of photographic prank, although it is sometimes.
    What I don't like is the amount of hype and 'spiritual' woo associated with the subject,
    and clearly made up anecdotes about it floating through somebodies house.

11. Sep 2, 2017 #10

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I think we are back on track. NFuller's citation and response was fine. rootone retracted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted