What Causes Ball Lightning and How is it Controlled?

In summary, the speaker is writing a paper on a Ball Lightning event that occurred in Guernsey, Channel Islands earlier this year. It was triggered by an aircraft contacting a large aerial BL and was followed by sightings of harmless visual plasmoids. The speaker is looking for theories or ideas on how this phenomenon is initiated and controlled. They have interviewed witnesses and are open to further details.
PaulD
I am in the final stages of writing a paper on a Ball Lightning event earlier this year in Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK. The event occurred in February, late evening during a cold NE airstream with occasional snow showers. It appears to have been precipitated by an aircraft contacting a large aerial BL at about 3000ft immediately followed by at least 6 sightings within domestic dwellings of non harmful visual plasmoids of various shapes (one has been reliably reported as passing through the upper body of a woman with no ill effect whatsoever).
I have been looking at this incident from a meteorological angle ( although this has somewhat pushed my limited knowledge in that area).
I would be exteremely grateful if anyone could put forward any theories or ideas on how a phenomona like this is initiated and controlled. Please bear in mind that I am unfortunately not a scientist(although I will make every endeavour to "transalate" any replies).
For the sceptics, previously I would have regarded a similar report with a large pinch of salt ! However, independantly interviewing a number of witnesses in a very impartial way I have no doubt whatsoever what occured.
Thanking you in advance (and hoping this is the correct forum)
Paul Domaille
Guernsey
ps If anyone would like any further details please send me a pm.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thanks matthyaouw, plenty of reading their !
Paul D

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare and unexplained atmospheric phenomenon that appears as a glowing sphere or ball of light. It is typically seen during thunderstorms and lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes before disappearing.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact formation process of ball lightning is still unknown and a topic of ongoing scientific research. However, it is believed to be created when lightning strikes the ground, releasing energy that ionizes the air and creates a glowing plasma sphere.

3. Is ball lightning dangerous?

There have been rare instances where ball lightning has caused property damage or injuries, but it is generally considered to be a harmless phenomenon. However, due to its unpredictable nature, it is advised to stay indoors and away from windows during a thunderstorm to avoid any potential danger.

4. Can ball lightning be recreated in a laboratory?

Scientists have been able to recreate ball lightning in a laboratory setting, but it is not yet possible to fully replicate the natural phenomenon. The exact conditions and mechanisms that lead to its formation are still not fully understood.

5. What is the difference between ball lightning and other atmospheric electric phenomena?

Ball lightning is often confused with other similar phenomena such as St. Elmo's Fire or plasma globes, but there are some key differences. Ball lightning is a self-contained glowing sphere, while St. Elmo's Fire is a glowing discharge on pointed objects and plasma globes are a result of electrical currents passing through a gas-filled glass sphere.