Ball Lightning.

Main Question or Discussion Point

Greetings from NZ.....I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenominon.
Are there any researchers out there currently working on this subject?

Answers and Replies

I started with Wikipaedia back in March 2014,when I discovered its name (which I believe to be misleading). Then I moved on to other'popular' sites....ie..'Report Ball,Lightning' After having seen the real thing many of the theories I read didn't come close to explaining it. My sighting was in calm conditions, no storm activity, and not a breath of wind. It was glowing white (same intensity as the LED driving lights that the new cars come with). It was over a metre wide....perfectly spherical. It kept a constant speed of approx 35 kph (I can't translate to knots) and held a height of 5-6 meters. It also carried a straight course following our house fence line.

Nugatory
Mentor
Greetings from NZ.....I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenomenon.
Yes, it is 2015, but there are still unsolved problems. The laws of physics that govern earth and atmospheric processes are well understood, but correctly and completely applying these laws to a system as complex as the earth can still be a very difficult problem.

Chances are that your google searching and the wikipedia article have found most of what is there to find.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Greetings from NZ.....I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenominon.
The problem is that ball lightning is extremely rare, making it nearly impossible to study. If you run into it again, I suggest keeping a notepad handy and asking it a few questions before it disappears. ;)

Yes, it is 2015, but there are still unsolved problems. The laws of physics that govern earth and atmospheric processes are well understood, but correctly and completely applying these laws to a system as complex as the earth can still be a very difficult problem.

Chances are that your google searching and the wikipedia article have found most of what is there to find.
This gentlemans theory is new......are they linked to mini black holes?
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0212251.pdf

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
If you run into it again, I suggest keeping a notepad handy and asking it a few questions before it disappears. ;)
..... and a camera

Nugatory
Mentor
This gentleman's theory is new......are they linked to mini black holes?
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0212251.pdf
That is hardly new - the idea was floating around a quarter-century ago according to the wikipedia page. To say that it is "fringe" would be generous. We can close this thread; if anyone has further contributions that are consistent with the Physics Forums rules on acceptable sources let me know by private message.