1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball Lightning.

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    Greetings from NZ.....I'm a new member and a physics luddite. In 2008 I had a close encounter with what I eventually found out was Ball Lightning. I find it hard to believe that here we are 2015 and still no solution to this phenominon.
    Are there any researchers out there currently working on this subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    I started with Wikipaedia back in March 2014,when I discovered its name (which I believe to be misleading). Then I moved on to other'popular' sites....ie..'Report Ball,Lightning' After having seen the real thing many of the theories I read didn't come close to explaining it. My sighting was in calm conditions, no storm activity, and not a breath of wind. It was glowing white (same intensity as the LED driving lights that the new cars come with). It was over a metre wide....perfectly spherical. It kept a constant speed of approx 35 kph (I can't translate to knots) and held a height of 5-6 meters. It also carried a straight course following our house fence line.

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4

Nugatory

Yes, it is 2015, but there are still unsolved problems. The laws of physics that govern earth and atmospheric processes are well understood, but correctly and completely applying these laws to a system as complex as the earth can still be a very difficult problem.

Chances are that your google searching and the wikipedia article have found most of what is there to find.

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5

Drakkith

The problem is that ball lightning is extremely rare, making it nearly impossible to study. If you run into it again, I suggest keeping a notepad handy and asking it a few questions before it disappears. ;)

7. Jan 11, 2015 #6
    This gentlemans theory is new......are they linked to mini black holes?
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0212251.pdf

8. Jan 11, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

..... and a camera

9. Jan 11, 2015 #8

Nugatory

That is hardly new - the idea was floating around a quarter-century ago according to the wikipedia page. To say that it is "fringe" would be generous. We can close this thread; if anyone has further contributions that are consistent with the Physics Forums rules on acceptable sources let me know by private message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook