Ball Lightning: Uncovering the Mystery of N_7^{14}, H_1^1, & O_8^{16}

In summary, ball lightning is a sphere shaped lightning that stays long before it explodes. They are sometimes created in a lightning storm. The theory says they are made of nitrogen ions surrounded by water molecules. The temp' inside is 6000C and outside 200C.
Karol

Homework Statement

Ball lightning is a sphere shaped lightning that stays long before it explodes. they are sometimes created in a lightning storm.
The theory says they are made of nitrogen ions surrounded by water molecules. the temp' inside is 6000C and outside 200C.
Nitrogen: ##N_7^{14}## Hydrogen: ##H_1^1## Oxygen: ##O_8^{16}##
The atmosphere consists of 80% N2 and O2
How many molecules of water, in average, surround each nitrogen ion.

Homework Equations

$$0^0c=273^0K$$
The equation of state: ##PV=nRT##

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know even which discipline is that problem, is it thermodynamics? chemistry?
Please give a direction to start, at least

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
i don't know even which discipline is that problem, is it thermodynamics? chemistry?

What class or book is this problem from?

I don't know which book it was taken from, i received it from a pupil.

It looks like chemistry to me, but I really don't know.

Complete guess here, but...
Consider a ball of lightning and a ball of air of the same volume. What else must be about the same for them? What does that tell you about the ratio of moles?
(Note that this approach requires you to assume the other gases present in air do not much alter its density.)

I tend to agree with you.
The lightning ball is a relatively stable structure, so I would think one should just treat it as a ball of hot air floating in a cooler atmosphere.
Somehow the eletrostatic forces keep it from expanding in spite of its high temperature.

andrevdh said:
Somehow the eletrostatic forces keep it from expanding in spite of its high temperature.
No, you must not assume that, or you will not have enough information!
Ask instead why should it expand.

haruspex said:
Complete guess here, but...Consider a ball of lightning and a ball of air of the same volume. What else must be about the same for them? What does that tell you about the ratio of moles?
(Note that this approach requires you to assume the other gases present in air do not much alter its density.)
The pressure in the ball is one atmosphere also, so pv=const.
The masses in the ball and the ratios of gases is the same as ##20^0## air, only the arrangement has changed:
$$1[mol]_{air}=0.8[mol]_{N_2}+0.2[mol]_{O_2}=1.6[mol]_N+0.4[mol]_O$$
$$\rightarrow~~x=\frac{1}{4}$$
On every 4 ions of N there is 1 molecule of water

O2 is not water. If it's the same as dry air, where does the water comes from?
The formulation "The atmosphere consists of 80% N2 and O2" is confusing".
Is there a typo (meaning actually "and 20% O2) or in these special conditions, the nitrogen and oxygen are just 80% (together)?
There is no indication about content of water or where the water comes from.

Karol said:
The pressure in the ball is one atmosphere also, so pv=const.
The masses in the ball and the ratios of gases is the same as ##20^0## air, only the arrangement has changed:
$$1[mol]_{air}=0.8[mol]_{N_2}+0.2[mol]_{O_2}=1.6[mol]_N+0.4[mol]_O$$
$$\rightarrow~~x=\frac{1}{4}$$

I don't understand how you got that. I find there are several water molecules per N. Please post your working.

So it would not be soluable if one were to use just Archimede's principle?

andrevdh said:
So it would not be soluable if one were to use just Archimede's principle?
Well, not just Archimedes' principle. You have to use a few other things too.

I think the op should state his/her assumptions first.

Karol said:
The masses in the ball and the ratios of gases is the same as 20o air, only the arrangement has changed:
Not sure what you mean by that. The ball consists of nitrogen ions with clusters of (ionised?) water molecules around them. No air. But it has the same density as air, or it would not float, and the same pressure, as we are assuming there's no strong electrostatic force to contain it or to dispel it.

Ok. Got it now.

Air at 200:
$$PV=nRT~~\rightarrow~~100,000=n\cdot 8.31\cdot 293~~\rightarrow~~n=41.1[mol]$$
I chose pressure of one atmosphere and volume of one metre cube.
Ball thunder:
$$n=\frac{293}{873}41.1=13.8[Mol]$$
But if the density of the ball must be the same as air at ##20^0##:
$$2(0.8\cdot 14+0.2\cdot 16)=28.8[gr/mole]$$
$$\rho=\frac{28.8\cdot 41.1}{1}=1,183.7[gr/m^3]$$
Then we didn't do anything, and it also can't be since we must use the equation of state.

If there are k water molecules/ions attached to each nitrogen ion, what is the molecular weight of the cluster? What density does that give at the known temperature and pressure?

The ion of nitrogen is one atom. The unit in the mol of the ball is the cluster of the nitrogen atom plus the water molecules.
In post #16 i found the density of the air at 200 to be 1183.7 and that there are 13.8 moles in the ball.
The density remains the same and it is made of clusters:
$$\rho=1,183.7=[k(16+2)+14][\frac {gr}{mol}]\cdot 13.8[Mol]~~\rightarrow ~~k=4$$

Karol said:
The ion of nitrogen is one atom. The unit in the mol of the ball is the cluster of the nitrogen atom plus the water molecules.
In post #16 i found the density of the air at 200 to be 1183.7 and that there are 13.8 moles in the ball.
The density remains the same and it is made of clusters:
$$\rho=1,183.7=[k(16+2)+14][\frac {gr}{mol}]\cdot 13.8[Mol]~~\rightarrow ~~k=4$$
Yes,that's fine, but in post #8 you wrote
Karol said:
I guess you just got it backwards when posting.

I didn't see post #8 when I wrote the last one. It is just accidentally the same number 4. Now there are 4 water molecules on every nitrogen atom.

Karol said:
I didn't see post #8 when I wrote the last one. It is just accidentally the same number 4. Now there are 4 water molecules on every nitrogen atom.
Ok. From memory, I got 4.5. It asks for an average, so need not be an integer.

Likes Karol
Maybe you didn't take into account the hydrogen. I also got 4.5 in this case. Thank you haruspex.

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare and unexplained phenomenon that appears as a glowing ball of light, typically ranging from the size of a pea to a few meters in diameter. It is usually associated with thunderstorms, but can also occur during volcanic eruptions or nuclear explosions.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact formation mechanism of ball lightning is still unknown and a subject of ongoing scientific research. However, it is believed to be caused by a combination of atmospheric conditions, such as high temperatures and electrical charges, and the presence of certain elements such as nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen.

3. What is the significance of N714, H11, and O816 in ball lightning?

N714, H11, and O816 refer to the chemical symbols and isotopes of nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen, respectively. These elements are believed to play a crucial role in the formation of ball lightning, as they are commonly found in the Earth's atmosphere and can produce the necessary conditions for its occurrence.

4. Can ball lightning be dangerous?

While there have been rare cases of ball lightning causing damage or harm, it is generally considered to be harmless as it usually dissipates quickly. However, it is always important to exercise caution around any type of electrical phenomenon.

5. How do scientists study ball lightning?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study ball lightning, including observations, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. However, due to its elusive and unpredictable nature, it remains a challenging subject to study and there is still much to learn about this mysterious phenomenon.