1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball moving up a wedge

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a ball with mass m and velocity v is moving up a wedge of mass M. What height does the ball reach if:
    a) the ramp is fixed on the table
    b) the ramp is able to move on a frictionless surface

2. Relevant equations
    mgh
    (1/2)mv(squared)

3. The attempt at a solution
    for a) i just solved for h using both equations given above, since there is a loss in kinetic energy which is converted to a gain in gravitational potential energy as the ball moves up the wedge. so this gives me that the h = v(squared)/2g.
    im stuck on b) however.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If the ramp is supported by a 'frictionless' surface, then as the ball of mass m goes up the ramp, it imparts a force on the ramp, and that force is related the weight.

So now the ball of mass m is doing work on the ramp of mass M, and both accelerate.

Think about using conservation of momentum in addition to conservation of energy.

4. Aug 22, 2007 #3
    well that was sort of my train of thought as well. the ball will exert a force onto the wedge thus making both move.
    we know that v'2 (that is the new velocity of the wedge with mass M) = (2M/m+M) * v1 (that is the original velocity of the ball)

but im confused because isnt the angle a factor aswell, i mean the force exerted on the wedge by the ball is different depending on how steap it is.
    i mean taken the extreme case we could say the wedge is in fact block, in that case i can see the conservation of momentum as given above applying to this situation, but in a case where the angle is flat the force exterted on the wedge would be less, or at least thats what im thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?