1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball on a slant,

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    so i am looking at the issue of a ball, spinning in a circle, and the surface the ball is on, is slanted, towards the centre

- same as spinning a piece of string with a ball on around your head i think - dont worry about that...

I have attached 2 pictures of ball on the surface at one time, tilted at an angle theta.

In the side on image i have labeled the horizontal component Rsin[theta],

and the component = to the force of gravity = Rcos[theta].

thefore R = mg/cos[theta]

therefore horiztonal component Rsin[theta] = mgsin[theta]/cos[theta] or mgtan[theta]

centrepetal force is equal to horizontal component, it is not a new force of its own, so

mv^2/r = mgtan[theta]

[theta] is the angle of the slope.

so the bit i am confused about is whether i can use SUVAT equations here to work out where the ball will end.

for instance if i had taken times, of the ball so i knew the speeds it was travelling at for two seperate but consecutive revolutions, (2*PI/t) then i could calculate the deceleration from

dv/dt = a

So if i know these two speeds for two revolutions, and work out the deceleration, can i work out how many radians the ball will now go through until it drops off the slope?

I think that the speed it drops at will always be the same, because the horizontal component, Rsin[theta] less than mg, the ball will begin to fall.

Yeah so basically how do i work out where the ball will be (in radians) when the ball begins to fall from the track.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted