1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball on a String

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    This isn't actually a homework problem, but I thought it would be relevant to post it here since it is a problem afterall, and I need some help at the solution. Thank you everyone!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a ball mass M hanging on a massless string length L, from a nail in the wall. When the ball is projected with initial horizontal velocity V, it swings up, but then falls back down and hits the nail. Find V in terms of M L and g.

2. Requested Help

I would appreciate it if someone could see if my method is problematic, and if my answer is correct if you would want to work it out.

3. The attempt at a solution

For ball to leave a circle and transit to a parabolic motion, Tension in string must equal to zero at point of transition. Thereafter, the parabolic motion will coincide with the nail. I have 3 equations and 3 unknowns - velocity at moment of transition, time taken for parabolic flight, and angle from vertical which transition occurs.

Using the above, I got an angle of 65.53 deg
    I got v^2 = gl cos(angle)
    And I eliminated t.

Finally, after using conservation of energy, I arrive at projection velocity V = Sqrt(3.24Lg)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi melancholy2! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a degree: º and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Yes, that's correct. :smile: But it's very difficult to check your final result without seeing your full calculations. :redface:

4. Dec 31, 2009 #3
    Hi everyone,

I've relooked at my workings and managed to come up with a new answer which I think is correct. Angle is now 54.7 degrees. Please see the attachment solution. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi melancholy2! :smile:

(I haven't actually checked the last 6 lines :redface:, but apart from that …)

Yes, that looks fine. :smile:

(except you could have saved yourself a little trouble if you'd noticed that lcosθ + lsin2θ/cosθ = l/cosθ :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook