1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball projection problem help

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 0.443 m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.84 m from the base of the table.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

2. Relevant equations

a) What is the initial speed of the ball? Answer in units of m/s

b) How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a -18.9486 degree angle with the horizontal? Answer in units of m.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) i got it right, and the answer is 6.13

b) this is what i have trouble on. I started by finding Vy using (6.13)(tan -18.9486)=Vy and i got: Vy=-2.10 I then used the formula Vf = Vo + a*t to get time. I got t=-.21 s
    Next i used d = Vot + 0.5a*t^2 to solve for distance and i got d= .22

Finally i did 0.443-0.22 and i got 0.22. The answer is not .22.

I need help please. What did i do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Sealy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    (probably a rounding error, but anyway …)

there are three standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations …

why not use v2 = u2 + 2as ? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    I tried to redo the problem without rounding until the end and i still got 0.22. I even tried 0.21 and 0.23. I sent a copy of my work and my solution to my teacher today so i'm waiting for her response.

I really think i used the right method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook