Ball roll down from the top of a rough spherical dome

In summary: The normal force must reduce to 0 by the time it leaves the sphere.Try to solve it logically using those facts and what you know about the conditions for rolling without slipping.In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling down a rough spherical dome with negligible initial velocity and angular velocity. The goal is to show that the ball must be sliding before losing contact with the dome. Using the equations for force, torque, and energy, it can be shown that the angle where the ball loses contact is 54.0°. To show that the ball is already sliding before losing contact, the condition for slipping (μsN = fs) must be satisfied. By considering
Yoonique

Homework Statement

A ball is rolling down from the top of a rough spherical dome with negligible initial velocity and angular velocity. Show that the ball must slide before losing the contact with the dome.

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma
Στ = Fr = Iα
fs = μsN
vcm = rω
Δmgh = 0.5mvcm2 + 0.5Icmω2
I = 2(mr2)/5

The Attempt at a Solution

Along the sphere:
ΣF = ma
mgsinθ - fs = matan

Along radius of the sphere:
mgcosθ - N = marad

Στ = Fr = Iα
fsr = Iα

Let θ1 be where the ball lose contact. R be the radius of the sphere, r be the radius of the ball.
mgh = 0.5mvcm2 + 0.5Icmω2
mg(R+r)(1-cosθ1) = 0.7mvcm2

When N=0,
mgcosθ1 = marad
gcosθ1 = vcm2/(R+r)
vcm2 = (R+r)gcosθ1
mg(R+r)(1-cosθ1) = 0.7(R+r)mgcosθ1
cosθ1 = 1/1.7
θ1 = 54.0°

Let θ2 be where the ball starts to slide.
To show that the ball slides before it lose contact, θ2 < θ1
When is starts to slide, fs = μsN
fsr = Iα
μsN = 2mrα/5
N = 2mrα/5μs

And if I sub it into the equations, it gets pretty complicated. I can't solve for θ. So how do I continue from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you've worked out when the ball loses contact, when the required centripetal force is greater than the normal (radial) component of weight, the angle where it slides is simply where θ2 excedes the angle of friction,
tan θ2 > μs, or in other words,
the radial component of weight x μs < the tangential component of weight.

Merlin3189 said:
Assuming you've worked out when the ball loses contact, when the required centripetal force is greater than the normal (radial) component of weight, the angle where it slides is simply where θ2 excedes the angle of friction,
tan θ2 > μs, or in other words,
the radial component of weight x μs < the tangential component of weight.
I have already worked out when the ball loses contact which is 54.0°
mgsinθ2 > μsN
sinθ2 > 2rα/5g
But I got a variable α and I can't solve the value for θ.

Can anyone give me some hints to solving this question?

BUMP, went to the second page. Anyone?

Yoonique said:
BUMP, went to the second page. Anyone?

Just an idea. If you have ##\theta_1## where the ball would fall off, then plug that value back into the equation for rolling without slipping and see whether it balances. Or, whether the frictional force would have to be too large by that stage.

When N =0 fs must be also zero, so fs=μN holds. That is slipping!

From energy considerations you get the linear speed of the CM. From that, you get its linear and angular acceleration, and you can obtain expressions for N and for fs as function of the angle theta. Find the condition for theta when fs=μN, and check if it is greater or less than the angle of separation if pure rolling would happen.

Likes PeroK
ehild said:
When N =0 fs must be also zero, so fs=μN holds. That is slipping!

From energy considerations you get the linear speed of the CM. From that, you get its linear and angular acceleration, and you can obtain expressions for N and for fs as function of the angle theta. Find the condition for theta when fs=μN, and check if it is greater or less than the angle of separation if pure rolling would happen.

Actually, with this insight, you may not have to do any calculations at all!

If I just plug in the value of θ1 into the equation, I would get N=0 and fs = μ(0) = μN (condition for slipping). But this only shows that the moment it loses contact it slips. The question wants me to show that it is already slipping BEFORE it loses contact. So I need to find a value for θ2 and show that it is less than θ1.

Okay I will try ehild's method.

Yoonique said:
If I just plug in the value of θ1 into the equation, I would get N=0 and fs = μ(0) = μN (condition for slipping). But this only shows that the moment it loses contact it slips. The question wants me to show that it is already slipping BEFORE it loses contact. So I need to find a value for θ2 and show that it is less than θ1.

Okay I will try ehild's method.

Yes, using ehild's insight is the way to go.

For future reference, if you show that ##q_1 < q_2## at some point, then ##q_1## must have been less than ##q_2## before that point. Where ##q_1## and ##q_2## are any continuously changing quantities.

I tried but my equation simplified to θ2 and μs. μs is an unknown, thus I can't solve for θ2. Is there an equation I missed out?

Yoonique said:
I tried but my equation simplified to θ2 and μs. μs is an unknown, thus I can't solve for θ2. Is there an equation I missed out?

I would try to solve this problem without any calculations. Sometimes, when the equations get complicated, it's good to solve the problem using logical arguments to minimise the calculations you need.

Here are the two key things you know:

1) The ball starts to roll and gets faster (its energy must keep increasing).

2) The normal force must reduce to 0 by the time it leaves the sphere.

Try to solve it logically using those facts and what you know about the conditions for rolling without slipping.

Why don't you show your work in detail?

ehild said:
Why don't you show your work in detail?
Ok, here it is:

Let θ2 be where the ball starts to slide.
To show that the ball slides before it lose contact, θ2 < θ1

mg(R+r)(1-cosθ1) = 0.7mvcm2
vcm2 = (10/7)g(1-cosθ)(R+r)

mgcosθ2 - N = 10/7 mg(1-cosθ)
N = mg(10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)

fs = 2/3mr2(a/r2) = 2/3 ma

mgsinθ2 - fs = ma
mgsinθ2 = 3.75fs

mgsinθ2 = 3.75μsN = 3.75μsmg(10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)
sinθ2 = 3.75μs(10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)

I can't solve for θ2 with μs being unknown.

PeroK said:
I would try to solve this problem without any calculations. Sometimes, when the equations get complicated, it's good to solve the problem using logical arguments to minimise the calculations you need.

Here are the two key things you know:

1) The ball starts to roll and gets faster (its energy must keep increasing).

2) The normal force must reduce to 0 by the time it leaves the sphere.

Try to solve it logically using those facts and what you know about the conditions for rolling without slipping.

Edited my post after thinking through.

As the ball speeds up, N decreases so fs decreases thus the tangential acceleration of the ball increases. Since fs = 2/3ma, fs increases? But i already said fs decrease at the start.. I'm confused..

Last edited:
Yoonique said:
mgsinθ2 = 3.75μsN = 3.75μsmg(10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)
sinθ2 = 3.75μs(10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)

I can't solve for θ2 with μs being unknown.
You obtained that in case the ball rolled without slipping all the way along the dome, it would leave it at the angle where 10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7=0. As the left-hand side must be positive, the right-hand side is also positive. This expression decreases with increasing angle. Is the angle where slipping occurs less than the one it would leave the dome if it rolled all the way ?

Yoonique said:
Edited my post after thinking through.
As the ball speeds up, N decreases so fs decreases thus the tangential acceleration of the ball increases. Since fs = 2/3ma, fs increases? But i already said fs decrease at the start.. I'm confused..

Suppose the ball rolls without slipping. The tangential force (gravity) is increasing, so the friction force must be increasing. It can't go on increasing if, eventualy, it must get to 0.

ehild said:
You obtained that in case the ball rolled without slipping all the way along the dome, it would leave it at the angle where 10/7 cosθ2 - 10/7=0. As the left-hand side must be positive, the right-hand side is also positive. This expression decreases with increasing angle. Is the angle where slipping occurs less than the one it would leave the dome if it rolled all the way ?
Ops I found a mistake in my working, it should be N = mg(17/7 cosθ2 - 10/7).
So sinθ2 = 3.75μs(17/7 cosθ2 - 10/7)
Okay I start to understand a little. In short for sinθ2 = 3.75μs(17/7 cosθ2 - 10/7) to be defined (which means sliding occurs), θ2 must be less than 54.0° = θ1.
Since sinθ2 > 0,
17/7 cosθ2 - 10/7 > 0 so cosθ2 > 10/17 > cosθ1.
So θ2 < θ1.

Okay I think I got it.

Last edited:
Here's an alternative. If ##F(\theta)## is the tangential force and ##f(\theta)## is the frictional force, you can show that, for rolling without slipping:

##F(\theta) = kf(\theta)## (for some positive constant ##k##)

##F## is strictly increasing, so ##f## must be strictly increasing. Therefore, slipping must occur when ##f## can no longer increase, which must be before the ball loses contact.

It's worth thinking about how powerful mathematics can be when used in this way.

Last edited:
Why is fs strictly increasing? I thought fs = μsN. As θ increasing, N actually decreases so fs decreases.

Yoonique said:
Why is fs strictly increasing? I thought fs = μsN. As θ increasing, N actually decreases so fs decreases.

IF the ball is rolling without slipping, THEN ##f## is increasing. So, IF ##f## is decreasing, THEN the ball is slipping.

Okay I get it. So it means that the moment the ball rolls down, it is already slipping.

Yoonique said:
Okay I get it. So it means that the moment the ball rolls down, it is already slipping.

Not quite. ##f=\mu N## is the maximum possible friction force. The friction force will usually be less than this maximum. In fact, for this motion, it will continuously increase from effectively 0.

The ball starts to slip at the point where ##f = \mu N## (as you've already worked out). After that point, ##f## would have to increase to sustain rolling, but it cannot increase any more; and, in fact, it must start to decrease as ##N## continues to decrease.

Oh I forgot the most crucial condition for static friction which is fs ≤ μsN. Am I right to say that fs increases from 0 while μsN is decreasing as N is decreasing. The moment fs increases to the value of μsN, it starts to slip. Then μsN continues to decrease, thus fs continues to decrease since fs is at its maximum value of μsN.

Yoonique said:
Oh I forgot the most crucial condition for static friction which is fs ≤ μsN. Am I right to say that fs increases from 0 while μsN is decreasing as N is decreasing. The moment fs increases to the value of μsN, it starts to slip. Then μsN continues to decrease, thus fs continues to decrease since fs is at its maximum value of μsN.

Yes. That's about it.

1. How does the roughness of the spherical dome affect the ball's roll?

The roughness of the spherical dome can greatly impact the ball's roll. If the surface is very rough, the ball will experience more friction and will slow down more quickly. This will result in a shorter distance traveled compared to a smoother surface. However, if the surface is slightly rough, it can actually help the ball maintain its momentum and roll farther.

2. What factors determine the speed of the ball as it rolls down the spherical dome?

The speed of the ball is determined by the height of the dome, the angle at which it is released, and the roughness of the surface. A higher dome will result in a faster roll, while a steeper angle of release will also increase the speed. The roughness of the surface will affect the speed, as explained in the previous answer.

3. Why does the ball eventually stop rolling?

The ball stops rolling because of friction. As the ball travels down the dome, it experiences friction from the rough surface, which slows it down. Eventually, the friction will be greater than the ball's momentum and it will come to a stop.

4. How does the size and weight of the ball impact its roll down the spherical dome?

The size and weight of the ball can affect its roll in a few ways. A larger and heavier ball will have more momentum and will roll farther than a smaller and lighter ball. However, the weight can also affect the force of friction, with heavier balls experiencing more friction and slowing down more quickly.

5. How can we use the concept of a ball rolling down a rough spherical dome in real-life applications?

This concept can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to study the motion and friction of objects on inclined surfaces. It can also be used in designing and testing different types of wheels and tires for vehicles, taking into account the roughness of different road surfaces. Additionally, this concept can be applied in sports, such as in designing and optimizing the performance of golf balls or bowling balls on different types of lanes.