1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball rolling down an incline

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball of mass 2.80 kg and radius 0.153 m is released from rest on a plane inclined at an angle θ = 41.0° with respect to the horizontal. How fast is the ball moving (in m/s) after it has rolled a distance d=1.60 m? Assume that the ball rolls without slipping, and that its moment of inertia about its center of mass is 1.80E-2 kg·m2.

2. Relevant equations

I = Icm + M(d^2)......parallel-axis theorem

wf ^2 = wi^2 + 2a(thetaF - thetaI).....constant angular acceleration

theta = S/r

v=wr

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to use the parallel-axis theorem to solve for one step in the problem, so.....

I = 0.0180 + 2.8(1.6^2) = 7.186 kg * m^2

Next I found how many "radians" the ball travels in 1.6 m...

C = 2"pi"r = 2"pi" * .153m = .936 m (circumference of ball)

1rad = .936 m

1.6m * (1rad/.936m) = 1.7 radians

I am not even sure how to solve this problem....I did the above equations so I could see if I was going on the right track by a process of elimination...usually I dont worry about the actual numbers untill the end of the problem...i.e. if I just use the units in the equations and my "answer" is in the correct units it usually means I am on the correct path....Please help me solve this problem...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Apply the conservation of energy.
    The potential energy = Translational kinetic energy + rotational kinetic energy.
    Angle is given, displacement along the inclined plane is given. From that find height through which the ball rolls.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    Ok....thanks

mg(d*sin(theta)= .5m *v^2 + .5I(v/r)^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook