1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball rolling in elevator

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    An open elevator is moving with an upward velocity of
    0.52ms-1 with an upward acceleration of 2.4ms-2. A ball bearing then rolls off the floor with zero horizontal speed. Determine the speeds of ball bearing and elevator 2s after the ball rolls off the floor.

Using v=u+at, speed of ball bearing
    Answer given was
    v=(-0.52)+(9.81)(2)

I don't understand why the acceleration of ball is 9.81 and not acceleration of lift. Shouldn't the acceleration of ball be the same as lift as they are in contact?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think 'flier' refers to? (This is a genuine question, I don't know what it means here.) My guess is it means it rolls out of the elevator.

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    I am so sorry! It's floor!

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So does that resolve your question?

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5
    Wait.. Are u saying that the ball rolls OUT of the elevator and is free falling and that's why the a is 9.81. But it still has the upward velocity of lift.. But how is it possible?

7. Jul 25, 2015 #6
    When it rolls out of the lift, it is initially still traveling with an upward velocity of 0.52 m/s. It is then subjected to a downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.

Chet

8. Jul 25, 2015 #7
    Now I get it thanks:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted