1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball swinging situation where you must find different formulas for different scenario

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    I'm having trouble figuring out this problem. I'm not sure what equations to use or how to start it, can anyone help??

1. A ball is attached to a string (extentionless and massless, of course) of length L. The string is attached to a frictionless pivot point. When the string is vertical, the ball is a distance h above the horizontal ground. The ball and string are released from rest at an angle θ1 from vertical (θ1 < 90°) and the string is straight. You may place a sharp knife somewhere so that it cuts the string and allows the ball to launch. Derive a formula for the desired angle from vertical θ2 (in terms of the given variables and possibly other constants) for the following situations:

Maximum launch speed

Maximum landing speed

Maximum horizontal launch distance as measured from a location below the ball and string when they hang vertically

Maximum horizontal launch distance as measured from the launch point

Maximum launch height as measured from the ground

Maximum launch height as measured from the launch point

Calculate the above numerically when L = 2.00 m, h = 0.50 m, and θ1 = 40°.

I'm guessing it has something to do with conservation of energy. How would I use those equations to derive formulas for these scenarios?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    Re: Ball swinging situation where you must find different formulas for different scen

I talked to a friend and he says I should come up with the equations for each situation then take the derivative of each of those equations. Does this sound right?

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Re: Ball swinging situation where you must find different formulas for different scen

For the first question (maximum launch speed), where does the ball have the least potential energy yet is still attached to the string? When it has the least potential energy, what can you say about kinetic energy and velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook