Solve Ball Torque Problem: 5.80 kg and 8.50 kg Balls

In summary, a 5.80 kg ball is dropped from a height of 13.5 m onto one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has a mass of 8.50 kg and is 5.40 m in length. At the other end of the bar sits a 4.00 kg ball, unattached to the bar. After the collision, the dropped ball sticks to the bar and the other ball travels straight upward. Using the equations for potential energy and torque, the moment of inertia for the system was found to be 57.12 and the angular speed of the bar was calculated to be 2.00. Ultimately, the second ball was found to reach a height of
irun4edmund

Homework Statement

A 5.80 kg ball is dropped from a height of 13.5 m above one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has mass 8.50 kg and is 5.40 m in length. At the other end of the bar sits another 4.00 kg ball, unattached to the bar. The dropped ball sticks to the bar after the collision. How high will the other ball go after the collision?

Homework Equations

U = mgh
torque = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my equation up like this m1gh1 - Iα = m2gh2
where everything is known except for h2 (what I am trying to find) and α (angular acceleration).

Im stuck because i have one equation with 2 unknowns, I am not sure what I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
irun4edmund said:

Homework Statement

A 5.80 kg ball is dropped from a height of 13.5 m above one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has mass 8.50 kg and is 5.40 m in length. At the other end of the bar sits another 4.00 kg ball, unattached to the bar. The dropped ball sticks to the bar after the collision. How high will the other ball go after the collision?

Homework Equations

U = mgh
torque = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my equation up like this m1gh1 - Iα = m2gh2
where everything is known except for h2 (what I am trying to find) and α (angular acceleration).

Im stuck because i have one equation with 2 unknowns, I am not sure what I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a picture with this problem?

Is the bar horizontal, or elevated toward the end the mass starts on? Or is the second mass constrained to only go straight up?

there was no picture to go with the problem. I wrote word for word from my physics book. I assume the bar is horizontal and that ball travels strait up, but the problem does not state that.

irun4edmund said:
there was no picture to go with the problem. I wrote word for word from my physics book. I assume the bar is horizontal and that ball travels strait up, but the problem does not state that.

Well let's assume that they mean for it to travel straight upward and that it will leave the bar at the same level as the first mass falls on it - that is with its ends level.

In this case then I would suggest that you look at the conservation of momentum.

You know that the initial mass m1 and V1 is all there is with everything else at rest.

After the process of attaching then the momentum should remain the same. So ...

m1V1 = I * w

where I is the combined moment of inertia and w is the resulting angular speed. And this speed w * r = V2 of the second mass

The combined I or Itotal = Im1 + Im2 + Ibar

Im1 = m1 * (L/2)2
Im2 = m2 * (L/2)2
Ibar = ... ? Figure the moment of inertia for the bar of length L.

Then you should be able to solve ... at least for the assumptions I would suggest.

Last edited:
I calculated the velocity of the first ball to be v = (2gh)1/2 or 16.27

Then the moment of inertia for the system to be I = m1(L/2) + m2(L/2) + (1/12)mbarL2 or 57.12

Using these numbers i got w = 2.00 and v2 = 10.8 and found that the ball goes 1.48 m high... but this isn't the right answer.

irun4edmund said:
I calculated the velocity of the first ball to be v = (2gh)1/2 or 16.27

Then the moment of inertia for the system to be I = m1(L/2) + m2(L/2) + (1/12)mbarL2 or 57.12

Using these numbers i got w = 2.00 and v2 = 10.8 and found that the ball goes 1.48 m high... but this isn't the right answer.

My mistake, the moments of the masses are given by.

I = m*r2 = m*L2/4

I just scribbled out the torque.

ok, i corrected the moment of inertia, but i still didn't get the right answer... I took another look at linear momentum and figured this thing out.

I*w = m1v1r not where r = L/2
I*w = m1v1 like previously stated.

Thanks for your help. problem solved.

1. How do I calculate the torque of two balls?

To calculate the torque of two balls, you need to know the mass of each ball and the distance between them. You can use the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance between the two balls. In this case, the force would be the weight of each ball, which can be calculated using the formula F = m x g (mass x gravitational acceleration).

2. How do I determine the direction of the torque in this problem?

The direction of the torque in this problem can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Place your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the force (weight) acting on the ball and your thumb pointing in the direction of the lever arm (distance between the two balls). The direction of the torque will be perpendicular to both the force and the lever arm.

3. What units should be used for the mass and distance in the formula?

The mass should be measured in kilograms (kg) and the distance in meters (m) for the formula to work correctly. If other units are used, they should be converted to these units before plugging them into the formula.

4. How do I know which ball has a greater torque?

The ball with the greater mass will have a greater torque, assuming the distance between the two balls is the same. This is because torque is directly proportional to mass.

5. Can I use this formula for any number of balls?

No, this formula is only applicable to two balls. If you have more than two balls, you will need to use a different formula or break the problem down into smaller parts.