1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball up an incline

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1

what i'm looking for is 1. the total energy of the sphere, and 2. the height of the ball after it has traveled up the incline.

i have some questions however. First, i understand that total energy = KE+PE. looking at the solution, KE=1/2mv^2. why does PE=1/1*Iw^2? this is the first time i've ever seen PE defined as such an equation.

in the second part of the solution, they use mgh - why isn't mgh used in the first solution? thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The term 'PE=1/1*Iw^2' you were referring to was supposed to be the rotational kinetic energy of the sphere, which equals 1/2 I w^2, so I assume it was a mistype. You're right - total energy is defined as the sum of potential and kinetic energy - but, since you have a rolling sphere, the kinetic energy is the sum of rotational and translational kinetic energy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?