How to Calculate Time and Displacement for a Ballistic Cart Launch

In summary, a ballistic cart is a wheeled cart that can launch a ball perpendicular to its movement and catch it again. With an initial velocity of 5.50 m/s and a constant velocity of 7.00 m/s, the ball lands back in the cart. Using g = 10.0 m/s2 and neglecting air resistance, the total time of flight is needed for part (a) and the range of the ball for part (b). This information should help you understand the problem better.
lulusmith
Hi,
I've tried to figure this out but I just can't! Please help me understand how to work it out?

A ballistic cart is a wheeled cart that can launch a ball in a direction perpendicular to the way the cart moves and can then catch the ball again if it falls back down on the cart. Holding the cart stationary on a horizontal track, you confirm that the ball does indeed land in the cart after it is launched. Let’s say that the cart launches the ball with an initial velocity of 5.50 m/s up relative to the cart while the cart is rolling with a constant velocity of 7.00 m/s to the right. Using g = 10.0 m/s2, and neglecting air resistance, determine

(a) the time it takes the ball to return to the height from which it was launched.

(b) the magnitude of the displacement of the cart during this time.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
part (a) is simply the total time of flight, i.e find the time until max height and then double it for the full trajectory. Part (b) is just the range of the ball, for the cart the catch it, it needs to travel the same distance as the ball has

hope this helps

Can't believe I couldn't do it before, I think I was just over thinking it.
Thank you! :D

lulusmith said:
Can't believe I couldn't do it before, I think I was just over thinking it.
Thank you! :D

no worries at all :)

Hello, calculating time and displacement for a ballistic cart launch involves understanding the principles of projectile motion and using the equations of motion. Let's break it down into two parts:

(a) Time: The time it takes for the ball to return to its initial height can be calculated using the equation t = 2v/g, where t is time, v is initial velocity, and g is acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the initial velocity is 5.50 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity is 10.0 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the equation, we get t = 2(5.50)/10.0 = 1.10 seconds.

(b) Displacement: The magnitude of the displacement of the cart during this time can be calculated using the equation s = ut + (1/2)at^2, where s is displacement, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. In this case, the initial velocity is 7.00 m/s, the acceleration is 0 (since the cart is moving at a constant velocity), and the time is 1.10 seconds. Plugging these values into the equation, we get s = (7.00)(1.10) + (1/2)(0)(1.10)^2 = 7.70 meters.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate time and displacement for a ballistic cart launch. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning!

1. What is a ballistic cart in simple physics?

A ballistic cart is a simple physics experiment that involves studying the motion of a cart that is launched from a ramp. It is used to demonstrate concepts such as projectile motion, inertia, and the effects of gravity on objects in motion.

2. What are the components of a ballistic cart?

A ballistic cart typically consists of a cart or trolley, a ramp, and a launcher. The cart is placed on the ramp and the launcher is used to propel the cart forward, creating a projectile motion.

3. How does a ballistic cart demonstrate projectile motion?

A ballistic cart demonstrates projectile motion by launching the cart at an angle, causing it to follow a curved path. This curved path is known as a parabola and is a result of the combination of the cart's horizontal velocity and the downward force of gravity.

4. What is the role of inertia in a ballistic cart experiment?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. In a ballistic cart experiment, inertia is demonstrated when the cart continues to move forward in a straight line even after it leaves the ramp. This is due to the cart's initial velocity and the absence of external forces acting on it.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying ballistic carts in simple physics?

Studying ballistic carts in simple physics can help us understand the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used to analyze the trajectory of a basketball shot or the motion of a projectile in a physics lab. It can also help engineers design and improve technologies such as rockets and missiles that rely on projectile motion.