Calculating Maximum Displacement of Pendulum from Ballistic Impact

• Thread starter Oomair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ballistic
In summary, the problem involves a 16 g rifle bullet traveling at 180 m/s that buries itself in a 4.0 kg pendulum hanging on a 3.5 m long string. The pendulum swings upward in an arc and the task is to determine the horizontal component of its maximum displacement. Using conservation of momentum, the initial speed of the pendulum can be found and then its maximum height can be calculated. The horizontal displacement can then be found using geometry.
Oomair
[SOLVED] Ballistic pendelum problem

Homework Statement

16 g rifle bullet traveling 180 m/s buries itself in a 4.0 kg pendulum hanging on a 3.5 m long string, which makes the pendulum swing upward in an arc. Determine the horizontal component of the pendulum's maximum displacement

Homework Equations

arc length s= rtheta

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think the block and bullet make a angle with a vertical
so work= F*s where S= Rtheta, but i can't find theta,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oomair! :smile:

Energy isn't conserved in the collision (you know that because the question tells you that the bullet "buries itself" in the pendulum).

So use conservation of momentum to find the initial speed of the pendulum.

Then find its maximum height by … ? :smile:

ok i found the max height which came out to be .0262 meters, but its wants the horizontal displacement, i don't know how to relate the height to the horizontal displacement,

since its displacement is like an arc, so S= rtheta, so this is where I am stuck, i have tried freebody diagrams and even used integration,

Hi Oomair! :smile:

Yes, .0262m looks right.

ok, the rest is just geometry.

Horizontal displacement just means the sideways component of distance.

So draw a triangle. The hypotenuse is 3.5. One side is 3.5 minus .0262. So the third side is … ? :smile:

thanks, that worked, i didnt know that the hypotenuse could be the length of the string, what a weird problem lol

1. What is a ballistic pendulum problem?

A ballistic pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves the collision between a projectile and a stationary target attached to a pendulum. The problem requires the analysis of the projectile's initial velocity and the resulting motion of the pendulum to determine the projectile's initial velocity.

2. What is the purpose of a ballistic pendulum?

The purpose of a ballistic pendulum is to measure the initial velocity of a projectile, which is usually difficult to calculate directly. By measuring the resulting motion of the pendulum after the collision, the initial velocity of the projectile can be determined using the principle of conservation of momentum and energy.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum is affected by factors such as the mass and length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, and the friction in the system. It is important to minimize these factors in order to obtain a more accurate measurement of the initial velocity of the projectile.

4. How is the initial velocity of a projectile calculated using a ballistic pendulum?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = (L / l) * √(g * (L + h) / sinθ), where L is the length of the pendulum, l is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the target, and θ is the angle at which the pendulum is released.

5. What are some real-life applications of the ballistic pendulum problem?

The ballistic pendulum problem has various real-life applications, including measuring the muzzle velocity of a firearm, determining the velocity of a bullet in forensic investigations, and estimating the energy of a meteorite impact. It is also used in the development and testing of weapons and in sports such as archery and javelin throwing.