What is the speed of the bullet in a ballistic pendulum collision?

In summary, a 16g bullet is fired into a ballistic pendulum with a mass of 1.5kg and a length of 2.3m. After the collision, the strings make an angle of 60 degrees with the vertical and the height of the bob is 1.15m. Using the equation vf = (mbullet*vbullet) / (mbullet+mblock), the speed of the bullet is calculated to be 346.2 m/s, but the wrong mass was used in the last step.
nns91

Homework Statement

A 16g bullet is fired into the bob of a ballistic pendulum of mass 1.5kg When the bob is at its maximum height, the strings make an angle of 60 degree with the vertical. The length of the pendulum is 2.3 m. Find the speed of the bullet.

Homework Equations

pi=pf

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think it is an inelastic collision so vf = (mbullet*vbullet) / (mbullet+mblock)

After collision:

(1/2)*(mbullet+mblock)vf2 = (mbullet+mblock)*g*h

h=2.3-2.3*cos60=1.15m

then I solved for vf2=2*9.981*1.15=22.563

the I substitute into the first formula ( I actually squared both sides to use vf^2) to find vbullet= 346.2 m/s. However it is wrong. Where did I do wrong ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks perfect. Check your arithmetic in your last step.

Cool. I found out that I got the wrong mass for the last computation, I put in 1.15 instead of 1.5

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by measuring the height it reaches after being fired into a pendulum. It is based on the principle of conservation of momentum.

2. How is the maximum height of a ballistic pendulum calculated?

The maximum height of a ballistic pendulum can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2 * m)/(2 * M * g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity of the projectile, m is the mass of the projectile, M is the mass of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the maximum height of a ballistic pendulum?

The maximum height of a ballistic pendulum can be affected by the initial velocity of the projectile, the mass of the projectile and the pendulum, and the gravitational acceleration. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

4. How accurate is the measurement of maximum height using a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of the measurement of maximum height using a ballistic pendulum depends on the precision of the equipment used and the skill of the experimenter. It is also important to account for any external factors that may affect the results.

5. What are some real-life applications of the ballistic pendulum?

The ballistic pendulum has various applications, including measuring the muzzle velocity of firearms, determining the velocity of projectiles in sports such as archery and baseball, and studying collisions in physics experiments.