Discover the Formula for Calculating Ballistic Range over Uneven Terrain

In summary, the range of a projectile is determined by the first intersection of its trajectory with the ground surface. The range is then based on the launch velocity and the launch angle.
Unredeemed
Hello,
I completely understand the mathematics behind finding the range of a projectile flying over flat ground. But I cannot find a reliable formula for the projectiles range if it is flying over non-flat ground. If someone knows the correct formula and could perhaps explain why it works, it would be most appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unredeemed said:
I completely understand the mathematics behind finding the range of a projectile flying over flat ground. [...]

To "completely understand..." would imply that you know how to construct the trajectory of the projectile.

Unredeemed said:
[...] But I cannot find a reliable formula for the projectiles range if it is flying over non-flat ground. If someone knows the correct formula and could perhaps explain why it works, it would be most appreciated!

Simple -- just compute the first intersection of the projectile trajectory and ground surface :)

Having said that, it is clear there can be no "correct formula" in general case, because the ground surface may be any kind of function, such that there is no analytical way to compute the intersection.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Unredeemed said:
Hello,
I completely understand the mathematics behind finding the range of a projectile flying over flat ground. But I cannot find a reliable formula for the projectiles range if it is flying over non-flat ground. If someone knows the correct formula and could perhaps explain why it works, it would be most appreciated!

Assuming air resistance is ignored, and you have constant acceleration...

[tex]x(t) = v\cos(\theta)t [/tex]

[tex]y(t) = y_0 + v\sin(\theta)t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

which gives the range (after some algebraic manipulation),

[tex] d = \frac{v\cos(\theta)}{g} \cdot [v\sin(\theta) + \sqrt{[v\sin(\theta)]^2 + 2gy_0}][/tex]

where,

[tex] \theta [/tex] is the launch angle
[tex] y_0 [/tex] is the initial launch height
v is the launch velocity
d is the horizontal distance the projectile will travel (i.e. the range)

CS

thanks guys, that helps a lot!

1. What is the Ballistic Range Formula?

The Ballistic Range Formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the maximum distance a projectile can travel when launched at a certain angle and velocity.

2. How is the Ballistic Range Formula derived?

The Ballistic Range Formula is derived from the principles of projectile motion and Newton's laws of motion.

3. What are the variables used in the Ballistic Range Formula?

The variables used in the Ballistic Range Formula include initial velocity, launch angle, and gravitational acceleration.

4. Can the Ballistic Range Formula be used for any type of projectile?

Yes, the Ballistic Range Formula can be used for any type of projectile as long as the initial velocity, launch angle, and gravitational acceleration are known.

5. How accurate is the Ballistic Range Formula?

The accuracy of the Ballistic Range Formula depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the assumptions made, such as ignoring air resistance. With accurate inputs and reasonable assumptions, the formula can provide a fairly accurate estimate of the projectile's range.