1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ballistic Spring System help!

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have been asked to design a "ballistic spring system" to measure the speed of bullets. A spring whose spring constant is k is suspended from the ceiling. A block of mass M hangs from the spring. A bullet of mass m is fired vertically upward into the bottom of the block. The spring's maximum compression d is measured.

Find an expression for the bullet's speed vB.
    Express your answer in terms of the variables m, M, k, d, and constant g.

2. Relevant equations
    KE = (1/2)mv2
    Ug = mgy
    Us = (1/2)kx2

KEi + Ugi + Usi = KEf + Ugf + Usf

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem is going to end up getting really messy, but I am not sure how to incorporate the mass of the box (M) This is what I started with:

(1/2)mvi2 + mgyi + (1/2)kxi2 = (1/2)mvf2 + mgyf + (1/2)kxf2

now I'm assuming that mgy values are 0 because we are not given any value for the height the box is above the ground. so that would give:

(1/2)mvi2 + (1/2)kxi2 = (1/2)mvf2 + (1/2)kxf2

Incorporating the variables we are given:

(1/2)mvi2 = (1/2)kd2

however this does not include gravity (which I am sure needs to be included somewhere) or the mass of the box (M)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2
    i don't know if this help but maybe if you put the spring at rest at y=0 and then when it's compress the y=d you could incorporate then the mgy equitation therefore putting g and M in the equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?