How do you calculate the speed of a bullet using a ballistic spring system?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a "ballistic spring system" to measure the speed of bullets. The system involves a spring with a spring constant k suspended from the ceiling, a block of mass M hanging from the spring, and a bullet of mass m fired vertically upward into the block. The maximum compression of the spring, d, is measured. The conversation then talks about finding an expression for the bullet's speed using conservation of momentum and the equation Ki + Ug + Usp = Kf + Ug + Usp. The correct expression for the bullet's speed is vB = sqrt((k*d^2(m + M))/m^2).

Homework Statement

You have been asked to design a "ballistic spring system" to measure the speed of bullets. A spring whose spring constant is k is suspended from the ceiling. A block of mass M hangs from the spring. A bullet of mass m is fired vertically upward into the bottom of the block. The spring's maximum compression d is measured.

Find an expression for the bullet's speed.
Express your answer in terms of the variables m, M, k, d, and constant g.

Homework Equations

Ki + Ug + Usp = Kf + Ug + Usp

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of momentum to find the final velocity of the bullet+block

(m+M)vf=mvi + Mvi

so...

vf=(m/m+M)*vB

where vB is the initial speed of the bullet.

Next, I used:
Ki + Ug + Usp = Kf + Ug + Usp

(1/2)mvi^2 + (1/2)kd^2 + Mgd = (1/2)mvf^2 + (1/2)kd^2 + Mgd
0 + (1/2)kd^2 + 0 = (1/2)(m+M)[(m+M)^2*vB^2] + 0 + Mgd

I found the answer to be:

((kd^2 - Mgd)(m+M))/m^2 = Vb

but this was not correct...please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it...nevermind

Could someone please explain this, I got the following, but it is not correct

vB = (k*d^2(m + M))/m^2

I figured it out, i was missing the square root. The answer is:

vB = sqrt((k*d^2(m + M))/m^2)

Last edited:

1. What is a ballistic spring system?

A ballistic spring system is a mechanical device that consists of a spring and a projectile, typically a metal ball. The spring is used to launch the projectile with a specific velocity and trajectory.

2. How does a ballistic spring system work?

A ballistic spring system works by storing potential energy in the spring and then releasing it to launch the projectile. The potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which propels the projectile forward.

3. What are the applications of a ballistic spring system?

Ballistic spring systems have various applications, including in ballistic testing and research, launching projectiles for military and sports training, and as a component in toys and games.

4. Can a ballistic spring system be modified to change the trajectory of the projectile?

Yes, the trajectory of a ballistic spring system can be modified by adjusting the tension of the spring, the angle of launch, and the weight of the projectile. These modifications can be used to achieve different ranges and angles of flight.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using a ballistic spring system?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a ballistic spring system. These may include wearing protective gear, using a secure and stable base for the system, and keeping a safe distance from the direction of launch to avoid injury from the projectile.