How can increased altitude affect the trajectory of a fired projectile?

• Thread starter DuncP89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ballistics
In summary, the problem involves determining the difference in initial elevation needed to hit a target at 800 yards with a U.S. 37-MM projectile fired with a muzzle velocity of 2600ft's. The projectile weighs 1.61 Ibm and the density and temperature of the atmosphere are ρ=0.06Ibm/ft^3 and T=30F degree. The equations used for this problem include the drag force, initial launch angle, and projectile motion. It is suggested that in order to accurately solve this problem, the differential equation describing the projectile motion should be used and numerically integrated, taking into account the changing drag force and acceleration of gravity at different altitudes.
DuncP89
This is NOT a school work/homework, it's just a problem relate to my personal interest found on a ballastics book. And I already converted all units into SI units to make it simple.
I tried but couldn't get to correct answer.
Please not a is speed of sound, K2 is a constant with equation.
The answer is 0.28 mil lower which is also 0.01575 degree lower.

Homework Statement

A U.S. 37-MM projectile is fired with a muzzle velocity of 2600ft's (792.48m/s). The projectile weighs 1.61 Ibm(0.73kg). Assuming K2 = 0.841[unitless] and using standard sea level met data(ρ=0.0751Ibm/ft^3 (1.2kg/m^3), a = 1120 ft/s (341.4m/s))
If this weapon is used at an increased altitude and assuming the density and temperature of the atmosphere are ρ=0.06Ibm/ft^3 (0.98kg/m^3) and T=30F degree, how much higher or lower will the weapon have to be aimed to hit a target at 800 yards.

Homework Equations

Drag force: F = 1/2ρ*S*C*V^2
S = πd^2/4 (d is diameter)
Cd = ρS/2m * K2*a/Vx = k2/Vx
Vx = Vx0*exp(-k2*t) ...t is time of flight ot any range x
Vy = (Vy0+g/k2)exp(-k2*t)-g/k2
t=x/Vx0 * ln(Vx0/Vx) / (1-Vx/Vx0)
tan∅ = tan∅0 + gx/Vx0^2((1-Vx0/Vx)/(1-Vx/Vx0)) ...∠∅ is the angle of fall and ∠∅0 is the initial launch angle
y = y0 + x*tan∅0 - (g*t^2/(2ln(Vx0/Vx)))

The Attempt at a Solution

I first assume the first firing is flat firing, so the initial launch angle is zero, after the increased altitude, i calculated the new k2 and then apply it into these two equations:
Vx = Vx0*exp(-k2*t) ...t is time of flight ot any range x
Vy = (Vy0+g/k2)exp(-k2*t)-g/k2
I assume the muzzle velocity is Vx at the halfway of the range since Vy and halfway of range is zero, i then manipulate these two equations to a form of Vy0/Vx0, and the do a inverse tan to get the initial launch angle.
but it doesn't work and i realized that muzzle velocity is not Vx at halfway since the moment the projectile went out, the velocity is changing. and i was stuck here

Physics news on Phys.org
I would seem to me that in order to determine a difference in initial elevation based on different altitudes, you should be writing the differential equation describing the projectile motion and numerically integrating it. The drag force is a function of projectile speed. The drag coefficient itself is also a function of speed to some extent. There is also a slight difference in the acceleration of gravity at different altitudes if that were to be included.

1. What is ballistics?

Ballistics is the study of the motion and behavior of projectiles such as bullets, missiles, and bombs. It involves understanding the factors that affect the trajectory and velocity of these objects, such as gravity, air resistance, and wind direction.

2. What is the difference between internal and external ballistics?

Internal ballistics deals with the behavior of a projectile while it is still inside the gun barrel, including factors such as propellant burn rate and chamber pressure. External ballistics, on the other hand, focuses on the projectile's flight after it has left the barrel, taking into account factors like air resistance and wind.

3. How is ballistics used in forensic science?

Ballistics is an important tool in forensic science for analyzing evidence from firearms. By examining the trajectory of a bullet, experts can determine the direction and angle of the shot, as well as the type of weapon used. This information can help in solving crimes and identifying suspects.

4. What is the importance of studying ballistics in military operations?

Ballistics is crucial in military operations, as it allows soldiers to accurately aim and hit their targets. By understanding the behavior of projectiles, military personnel can make necessary adjustments for factors such as wind and distance, increasing their chances of hitting their intended target.

5. How has technology affected the field of ballistics?

Technology has greatly advanced the study of ballistics, allowing for more accurate and precise calculations and measurements. Tools such as high-speed cameras and computer simulations have made it easier to analyze and predict the behavior of projectiles, making ballistics an even more valuable field in various industries.