Building a Balloon Car: Increasing Speed

In summary, the conversation revolved around building a balloon car and ways to increase its speed. There was a question about where to place the balloon for the fastest movement and what materials and design to use. One suggestion was to place the balloon at the inlet to the piston and another was to use ten speed tires for their light weight and ability to go faster. The importance of creativity in the task was also mentioned.
millerst
Hi All,

I'm building a balloon car and I'm in need of ways to increase the speed of the car.

Here's a description: Attach a balloon to a car. Rave the balloon powered car over 3 meters. The car must move on its wheels and the sole source of propulsion must be provided by the balloon.

Okay so I guess my question is, where should the balloon be placed to get the fastest movement, what materials should I use, how should I design the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan

Physics news on Phys.org
The balloon should be placed at the inlet to the piston, "obviously".. :smile: Do you realize though, half the point of the task is creativity?

internal combustion engine, or propulsion?

Ballon Car

I have been a macanic for 30 years. I would use ten speed tires. They are ment to go faster and are lighter. It is just a thought. I hope you do well.

Last edited:

1. How does the size of the balloon affect the speed of the car?

The size of the balloon can affect the speed of the car because it determines the amount of air that can be released to create thrust. A larger balloon will have more air to push out, resulting in a faster speed.

2. What materials are needed to build a balloon car?

The materials needed to build a balloon car include a lightweight body, wheels, a balloon, a straw or tube, and some type of adhesive such as tape or glue.

3. How can I increase the speed of my balloon car?

There are a few ways to increase the speed of a balloon car. You can make the body more aerodynamic, use larger wheels, or increase the size of the balloon. Additionally, using a smooth surface for the car to travel on can also help increase speed.

4. What is the role of the straw or tube in a balloon car?

The straw or tube acts as a nozzle for the air to escape from the balloon. It helps direct the air in one direction, creating thrust and propelling the car forward.

5. Can different types of balloons affect the speed of the car?

Yes, different types of balloons can affect the speed of the car. Thinner balloons will typically have less air and less thrust, resulting in a slower speed. Experimenting with different types of balloons, such as latex versus mylar, can help determine the best option for increasing speed.