High-Altitude Research Balloon Design: Questions Answered

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a high-altitude research balloon and addresses questions about calculating volume, determining the amount of lifting gas needed, and compensating for the diurnal cycle to maintain a specific altitude. The conversation also mentions the effect of decreasing atmospheric pressure on the volume of gas and the need for temperature stability in the design.
physicsCU
For a lab I am working on, we are designing a high-altitude research balloon.

I have some questions though.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a zero-pressure balloon? By taking my mass of the body over the density of the air at altitude, does this give me the volume of gas needed at that altitude? But the zero-pressure has a larger envelope that isn't filled so that the gas expands.

2. From question 1, how would I figure out how much lifting gas i needed at the ground? Is there a formula I can use?

3. How do I compensate for the diurnal cycle to maintain a specific altitude?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
surely you mean "zero gauge pressure" ...
This is P_atm = 10^5 N/m^2 at ground!
Bouyant Force is (rho_displaced)(V_displaced)g
As P decreases, V of the gas increases
. . . but not for your payload!
Unless you heat it, lifting effectiveness
will decrease consistently as it rises.

I have only half-baked ideas for T stability!
Good Luck!

I am happy to provide some guidance for your high-altitude research balloon design. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. To calculate the volume of a zero-pressure balloon, you will need to consider the weight of the payload, the density of the air at the desired altitude, and the expansion of the gas inside the balloon. The formula you mentioned, mass/density of air, will give you the volume of gas needed for the balloon to achieve neutral buoyancy. However, as you mentioned, the gas will expand as the balloon ascends, so you will need to account for this expansion in your calculations. You can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the volume of gas needed at the ground and then adjust for expansion as the balloon rises.

2. To figure out how much lifting gas you need at the ground, you can use the ideal gas law as mentioned above. You will also need to consider the weight of the payload, the weight of the balloon envelope, and any other components such as cameras or sensors. It is important to carefully calculate the necessary lifting gas to ensure that the balloon can reach and maintain the desired altitude.

3. To compensate for the diurnal cycle, you will need to consider the changes in air temperature throughout the day. As the temperature changes, the density of the air will also change, which can affect the altitude of the balloon. One way to compensate for this is to use a control system that can adjust the volume of the lifting gas to maintain a constant altitude. This control system can be programmed to respond to changes in temperature and make necessary adjustments.

I hope this helps with your high-altitude research balloon design. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make precise calculations to ensure a successful and accurate research mission. Best of luck with your lab!

1. What is a high-altitude research balloon and how does it work?

A high-altitude research balloon is a large, helium-filled balloon that carries scientific instruments and equipment to high altitudes in order to collect data and conduct experiments. The balloon is launched into the upper atmosphere where it expands due to the decrease in air pressure, reaching altitudes of up to 120,000 feet. As it rises, the balloon also carries a payload, which can include cameras, sensors, and other instruments, that collect data and transmit it back to the ground.

2. How are high-altitude research balloons designed?

High-altitude research balloons are designed with specific materials and shapes in order to withstand the extreme conditions of the upper atmosphere. They are typically made of lightweight and durable materials such as polyethylene or Kevlar, and are often shaped like teardrops or spheres to increase stability and reduce drag. The balloons also have a valve system that allows for the release of gas if needed to maintain altitude.

3. What type of instruments are typically carried on high-altitude research balloons?

High-altitude research balloons can carry a variety of instruments depending on the specific research being conducted. Some common instruments include cameras for capturing images and videos, sensors for measuring temperature, pressure, and other atmospheric conditions, and communication equipment for transmitting data back to the ground.

4. How do scientists control the flight of high-altitude research balloons?

High-altitude research balloons are controlled using a combination of tracking and steering methods. Scientists can track the location and altitude of the balloon using GPS and other tracking systems, and can also adjust the amount of gas in the balloon to control its ascent and descent. Additionally, some balloons are equipped with small motors or propellers that allow for steering and directional control.

5. What are the potential benefits of using high-altitude research balloons in scientific research?

High-altitude research balloons offer several benefits for scientific research, including the ability to access remote and hard-to-reach locations, lower costs compared to other research methods such as satellites, and the ability to carry a variety of instruments and payloads. They also provide a unique perspective and can capture data from the upper atmosphere that is not easily accessible by other means.