1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balloon falling

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    As you look out of your apartment window, you see water balloons falling past. You measure that the balloons are visible (going past the window)for a time t, and the vertical length of your window is L_w. assume that the water balloons were dropped (rather than thrown downward). Determine then height h (above the top edge of your window) from which it was dropped. This will be an algebraic expression in terms of t, L_w, and g.

my approach:
    known's:
    a_y= -g
    Vi_y= 0
    Vf_h=Vi _(L_w)

Picture I made to help with solution
    http://yfrog.com/5hbaloonfallingj

My use of kinematics
    Vf _h= -g*t which also means Vi_(L_w) = -g*t
    Yf_h = Yi_(L_w)
    L_w = Yi_(L_w) - g*t*t - (1/2)g*t^2 ------> Yi_(L_w) = L_w +(1/2)g*t^2
    Yf_h = Yi_h - (1/2)g*t^2 ----> L_w +(1/2)g*t^2 = Yi_h -(1/2)g*t^2 --(solve for Yi_h)--> Yi_h = g*t^2 + L_w
    Answer: [Yi_h = g*t^2 + L_w] is the algebraic expression to find height above the top of window edge.

This is what I came up with and wondering if this is the correct answer for this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is not correct. Try to write your derivation a bit more clearly. First, choose your reference system with the y axis pointing downward and the origin at the point from where the balloon was dropped. The y coordinate of the top of the window is y1=h. The bottom is at y2=h+L.

At time t1 the balloon is at

[tex]h=\frac{1}{2}t_1^2[/tex]

and at time t2 it is at

[tex]h+L=\frac{1}{2}t_2^2[/tex]

ehild

You measure the time span while the balloon moves from h to h+L, this is t2-t1=t. So t2=t1+t.

Insert this for t2 in the second equation, determine t1, plug into the first equation: you get h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook