Balloon FreeBodyDiagram Question

• Thread starter faylihn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the balloon will descend to the ground in 7.5 seconds if the angle of B's rope is 40 degrees from the vertical.
faylihn
This is my gr. 11 physics problem that I can't get. I would be very grateful if someone could help me. :smile: A hot air balloon has a force of gravity of 3000N but has an upward force of 3800N due to the hot air. Person A is on the ground and pulling the balloon with a force of 540N [Left 40degree Down]. Person B is pulling with a force of 700N straight down. Person B's rope is 30m long. How long will it take to pull the balloon down. The problem is #52 from p148 of Irving Physics and the answer is 7.5 seconds but I have no idea how they got it there. Thanks for any help you might give!

Physics news on Phys.org
faylihn said:
This is my gr. 11 physics problem that I can't get. I would be very grateful if someone could help me. :smile: A hot air balloon has a force of gravity of 3000N but has an upward force of 3800N due to the hot air. Person A is on the ground and pulling the balloon with a force of 540N [Left 40degree Down]. Person B is pulling with a force of 700N straight down. Person B's rope is 30m long. How long will it take to pull the balloon down. The problem is #52 from p148 of Irving Physics and the answer is 7.5 seconds but I have no idea how they got it there. Thanks for any help you might give!
Work out the net force:

Downward forces - upward forces = mass of balloon x acceleration

You have to work out the downward forces (ie. downward component of A's force).

I think you will find that the net force is downward. Once you figure out the acceleration, you have to work out how long it takes for the balloon to descend to the ground. Do you know how to do that? B's rope gives you its height above the ground.

AM

Does the balloon begin at rest? I solved it and got 8.6 seconds.

Define your angle for Person A. I don't think the 40 degrees is oriented right.

3800 up - 3000 down - 700 down - 540sin40 down.

That means net force is 247N towards earth.
Find the mass of the balloon if you know the force of gravity and the acceleration of gravity. Divide the net force above by this mass and use the resulting acceleration in a position equation solved for time.

I got 8.6seconds also...

whozum said:
Define your angle for Person A. I don't think the 40 degrees is oriented right.

3800 up - 3000 down - 700 down - 540sin40 down.

That means net force is 247N towards earth.
Find the mass of the balloon if you know the force of gravity and the acceleration of gravity. Divide the net force above by this mass and use the resulting acceleration in a position equation solved for time.

I got 8.6seconds also...
7.5 seconds is the answer if you take the angle of B's rope as 40 degrees from the vertical (which is not what I would have said from the question) and use 10 m/sec^2 for g. Either that or a few metres of B's rope is lying on the ground.

AM

1. What is a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram?

A Balloon FreeBodyDiagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on a balloon, including gravity, air resistance, and buoyancy. It helps to understand the motion of a balloon and how different forces affect it.

2. How do you draw a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram?

To draw a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram, you need to first identify the forces acting on the balloon. This includes gravity, air resistance, and buoyancy. Then, draw a dot to represent the center of mass of the balloon. Next, draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force acting on the balloon. Finally, label each force and the direction it is acting in.

3. What is the purpose of a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram?

The purpose of a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram is to visually represent the forces acting on a balloon and how they affect its motion. It helps to understand the relationship between forces and motion and is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of balloons.

4. What factors affect the motion of a balloon?

The motion of a balloon is affected by various factors such as the amount of air inside the balloon, the shape and size of the balloon, the density of the surrounding air, and the direction and strength of the wind. These factors can change the forces acting on the balloon and therefore, affect its motion.

5. How can a Balloon FreeBodyDiagram be used in real life?

A Balloon FreeBodyDiagram can be used in real life to understand the motion of hot air balloons, weather balloons, and even party balloons. It can also be used in engineering and design to analyze the behavior of inflatable structures and to make improvements for better performance.