Experimenting with Liquid Nitrogen: Who's Right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a demonstration involving a balloon in liquid nitrogen for middle school students. One person claims that the liquid in the balloon is water, but the other person argues that it is most likely liquid oxygen due to its properties. They suggest using a long stick and a burner for a potential small fireworks display, but caution against burning the liquid oxygen. The summary concludes with the confirmation that the liquid is indeed liquid oxygen and should not be burned.
Mu naught
I'm supposed to do a little demonstration to some middle school kids and one thing that's planned is sticking a balloon in liquid N2. The guy who showed us what they want (who doesn't appear to know anything about science) claimed that the liquid you see in the bottom of the balloon when you let it sit in the LN2 is water, but I said no that can't be because water would freeze very quickly and the liquid is liquified gasses, mainly N2, O2, that were already in the balloon and he said that it was water, I wasn't going to argue but I still think he's full of crap.

Anyways, I don't want to lie to little kids, so who's right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You're correct, water would freeze. I'd guess it's primarily liquid oxygen since the oxygen liquifies at a temperature above that of LN2 at ambient pressure. Could be a bit of argon in there too. Water and carbon dioxide would solidify, and you could find them both in very small proportions compared to the oxygen.

Maybe get the liquid in there and put it over a burner at the end of a long stick? I bet the rubber in the balloon and concentrated oxygen would make an interesting, though small fireworks display!

Yes, it is liquid oxygen. If your balloon is clear, then the liquid should appear pale-blue. You should not attempt to burn it.

1. What is liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen is a colorless, odorless, and extremely cold liquid form of nitrogen gas. It has a boiling point of -196 °C (-321 °F) and is commonly used in scientific and industrial settings for various applications.

2. What safety precautions should be taken when handling liquid nitrogen?

Handling liquid nitrogen requires caution and proper safety measures. It should only be used in well-ventilated areas and never be consumed or touched with bare skin. Protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, should be worn at all times. It is also important to handle liquid nitrogen in a well-insulated container to prevent any potential hazards.

3. What are the potential risks of experimenting with liquid nitrogen?

The main risks associated with experimenting with liquid nitrogen include severe frostbite or burns if it comes in contact with the skin, as well as potential asphyxiation if it is not handled in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to be cautious of the extreme cold temperature of liquid nitrogen, which can cause damage to materials and equipment.

4. Can liquid nitrogen be used to preserve food?

Yes, liquid nitrogen can be used to preserve food by rapidly freezing it. This process is called cryogenic freezing and helps to preserve the texture, flavor, and nutritional value of food items. However, it should only be done by trained professionals in controlled environments.

5. How can I safely dispose of liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen should be disposed of properly to prevent any potential hazards. It can be safely poured into a well-insulated container and allowed to evaporate in a well-ventilated area. It is important to never pour liquid nitrogen down a sink or drain as it can cause damage to pipes and potentially create an explosion due to the rapid evaporation process.