How to Calculate Charge on a Balloon After Losing Electrons

In summary, the question asks for the charge of a neutral balloon after 19000 electrons have been removed from it. Using the equation Q = Ne, the answer is 3.04x10^-15 microcoulombs. The confusion may have stemmed from converting to microcoulombs incorrectly, as the conversion should be dividing by 10^-6.
sonastylol
[SOLVED] Balloon losing electrons

Homework Statement

You have a neutral balloon. The charge of an electron is -1.6x10^-19C.
What is its charge after 19000 electrons have been removed from it? Answer in units
of microcoulombs.

Homework Equations

I THINK Q = Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

This question should be very easy but for some reason I am hesitant to answer it any more because I lose points every time I do it. I understand that when you remove electrons from an object the particle becomes positively charged, so this rules out a negative answer.

I tried 19000 x 1.6x10^-19 and submitted that answer = 3.04x10^-15
I also tried 19000 x 1.6x10^-19 x 10^-6 ( converting to microC ), and that answer was still wrong = 3.04x10^-21

What am I doing wrong? This seems too simple ... :(
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing your conversion backwards! Divide by 10^-6.

oh god.thanks a bunch

1. What is the concept behind a balloon losing electrons?

The concept behind a balloon losing electrons is related to the process of static electricity. When two objects rub against each other, electrons can be transferred from one object to the other. In the case of a balloon, when it is rubbed against hair or clothing, it becomes negatively charged and loses electrons.

2. Why does a balloon stick to a wall after losing electrons?

After losing electrons, the balloon becomes negatively charged. This negative charge attracts positive charges in the wall, causing the balloon to stick to the wall. This is due to the principle of opposite charges attracting each other.

3. Can a balloon lose too many electrons?

Yes, a balloon can lose too many electrons, resulting in it becoming positively charged. This can happen if the balloon is rubbed against certain materials, such as a wool sweater. In this case, the balloon will no longer stick to a wall, as it will repel the positive charges in the wall.

4. How long does a balloon retain its negatively charged state?

The length of time a balloon retains its negatively charged state depends on various factors, such as the materials it is rubbed against and the humidity in the air. In dry conditions, the charge may dissipate quickly, but in more humid conditions, it may last longer.

5. Can a balloon losing electrons cause harm?

No, a balloon losing electrons does not cause harm. The amount of charge that can be built up on a balloon through rubbing is not enough to cause any harm to humans. However, it is important to be cautious when experimenting with static electricity to avoid any accidental shocks.