Scaling of Emission Wavelengths in Balmer Series for ##Li^{2+}##?

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the emission and absorption wavelengths of hydrogen-like atoms are related to nuclear charge by the function ##\lambda = -\frac{2hca_0n^2}{Ze^2}##. To find the longest and shortest wavelengths in the Balmer series for ##Li^{2+}##, one must use the energy difference between the initial state (n=3 or higher) and the final state (n=2). This can be calculated using the equation for ##E_n## and comparing it to the Rydberg formula.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The emission wavelengths of hydrogen-like atoms are related to nuclear charge. How do they scale as a function of Z? What are the longest and shortest wavelengths in the Balmer series for ##Li^{2+}##?

Homework Equations

##E_n = -\frac{R}{n^2}## (1)

##a_0 = \frac{\hbar^2}{Zme^2}## (2)

From (2), ##\hbar^2 = a_0Zme^2## (3)

##\alpha = \frac{Ze^2}{\hbar c}## (4)

##R = \frac{1}{2} mc^2 \alpha^2## (5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to find an expression for the energy levels of hydrogen-like atoms. Substituting (5) into (1) gives
##E_n = -\frac{mc^2\alpha^2}{2n^2}##
Substitute in (4):
##E_n = -\frac{mZ^2e^4}{2\hbar^2 n^2}##
Sub in (3):
##E_n = -\frac{mZ^2e^4}{2Za_0me^2 n^2}##

Simplifying, ##E_n = -\frac{Ze^2}{2a_0n^2}##. This can be related to wavlength via ##E_n = \frac{hc}{\lambda}##, so emission and absorption wavelengths of hydrogenic atoms are related to nuclear charge Z by the function

##\lambda = -\frac{2hca_0n^2}{Ze^2}##

But I have no idea how to answer the bit about the Balmer series because n=2 and Z=3, so based on my equation isn't there only going to be one answer? How do I get minimum/maximum wavelengths?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
But I have no idea how to answer the bit about the Balmer series because n=2 and Z=3, so based on my equation isn't there only going to be one answer? How do I get minimum/maximum wavelengths?
In the Balmer series the final state is an ##n=2## state. The initial state may be anything from ##n=3## to ##n=\infty##. You need to find the energy difference between these states.

Likes Kara386
Incand said:
In the Balmer series the final state is an ##n=2## state. The initial state may be anything from ##n=3## to ##n=\infty##. You need to find the energy difference between these states.
So I use the equation for ##E_n## I found and do ##E_3-E_2## for the maximum wavelength? This gives a negative answer though, can I just multiply that answer by ##-1##? Or do ##E_2-E_3##?

##E_3-E_2## is positive from your formula since you got a minus sign in it. That is ##-1/9 > -1/4##.
I don't know if all your other constants are correct but you can always compare your answer to the Rydberg formula https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_formula

Likes Kara386

What is the Balmer Series for Li2+?

The Balmer Series for Li2+ refers to the series of spectral lines that are emitted when an electron in a Li2+ ion transitions from higher energy levels to the second energy level. This produces visible light with a wavelength of approximately 656 nanometers.

How is the Balmer Series for Li2+ related to the hydrogen atom?

The Balmer Series for Li2+ is closely related to the Balmer Series for the hydrogen atom. Both involve transitions to the second energy level, but the Li2+ ion has a higher nuclear charge which results in a slightly different wavelength for its spectral line.

What is the significance of the Balmer Series for Li2+ in atomic structure?

The Balmer Series for Li2+ provides important information about the energy levels and structure of the Li2+ ion. By studying the wavelengths of the spectral lines, scientists can determine the energy levels and electron configurations of the ion.

Can the Balmer Series for Li2+ be observed in nature?

Yes, the Balmer Series for Li2+ can be observed in nature. It is commonly seen in the spectra of stars and other celestial objects, as well as in laboratory experiments using Li2+ ions.

How is the Balmer Series for Li2+ used in scientific research?

The Balmer Series for Li2+ is used in various fields of research, such as astrophysics, spectroscopy, and atomic physics. By analyzing the spectral lines, scientists can gain insight into the properties and behavior of Li2+ ions and other similar systems.