Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balmer's Equation

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1

Gaz

So the Balmers constant is cool and easy to use compared to the Rydberg constant and I was looking for something simpler and came up with this.

If you change the Balmers constant to B=91.126705 by dividing it by 2² (because 364.50682 is the Balmers series) and use the formula. Wavelength = BN²(n²/(n²-N²)) N being the series N=1 lyman N=2 Balmers etc. Now I can use the Balmers to calculate all the wavelengths of hydrogen with ease and answers in nm.

Any thoughts on this I tested it out and it looks to work great maybe someone else could give it a go and make sure it works thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2
    It follows directly - by some elementary algebraic manipulation - from Rydbergs formula.

So start from Rydbergs formula and try to rewrite it on your desired form.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3

Gaz

I did from Balmers and it works. I did what Rydberg did but in a different way that I think is a lot simpler

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook