1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balmer's Equation

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1

Gaz

So the Balmers constant is cool and easy to use compared to the Rydberg constant and I was looking for something simpler and came up with this.

If you change the Balmers constant to B=91.126705 by dividing it by 2² (because 364.50682 is the Balmers series) and use the formula. Wavelength = BN²(n²/(n²-N²)) N being the series N=1 lyman N=2 Balmers etc. Now I can use the Balmers to calculate all the wavelengths of hydrogen with ease and answers in nm.

Any thoughts on this I tested it out and it looks to work great maybe someone else could give it a go and make sure it works thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2
    It follows directly - by some elementary algebraic manipulation - from Rydbergs formula.

So start from Rydbergs formula and try to rewrite it on your desired form.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3

Gaz

I did from Balmers and it works. I did what Rydberg did but in a different way that I think is a lot simpler

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook