Solve Balmer's Formula for Wavelengths

• Thread starter elephantorz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, Balmer's Formula is used to find the wavelengths of series of numbers by plugging and chugging using the formula \lambda = \frac{94.18 nm} ({\frac{1}{m^{2}}) - (\frac{1}{n^{2}})}, where m and n are positive integers. The formula can also be used to find a pattern in the differences between successive numbers and determine the degree of a polynomial needed to produce the numbers. It can also be applied to frequencies instead of wavelengths.
elephantorz
[SOLVED] Balmer's Formula.

1. I am to find the formula of each series of wavelengths:
  • 12500, 31.25, 13.90, 7.81, and 5.00 nm
  • 375, 900, 1575, 2400, 3375, and 4500 nm
***Also, n might not always equal 1.

2. [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{94.18 nm} ({\frac{1}{m^{2}}) - (\frac{1}{n^{2}})}[/tex])
Where m = 1, 2, 3, ... and n = m+1, m+2, ...​
3. My prof said that all I had to do was plug and chug, but I am not exactly sure what she meant by that, and do I assume that m is just zero at times?
I want to know if there is a way I can do this mathematically? She told me to THINK squares, so I attempted to take the square root of the numbers.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to clarify since I seem to have found the second one, it is talking about finding a FORMULA, so Balmer's formula is really useless in a way.

If a Mod would rename this I would really appreciate it, rename it to: Finding Formula given a series.

And I just figured out the second one, what a waste of forum-space!

Thanks anyway!

:D

One way is to take differences between succesive numbers, and see if a pattern emerges.
Take the differences of the differences is that doesn't work. If the differences are constant after n steps the numbers can be produced with a n'th degree polynomial.

since the numbers are wavelengths, you could try the frequencies as well.

I think the first number from a needs to be 125.00

1. What is Balmer's formula?

Balmer's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the wavelengths of spectral lines emitted by hydrogen atoms to their corresponding energy levels. It was developed by Swiss physicist Johann Balmer in 1885.

2. How do you solve Balmer's formula for wavelengths?

To solve Balmer's formula for wavelengths, you need to rearrange the equation to isolate the wavelength variable, lambda. The formula is written as:
1/lambda = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where R is the Rydberg constant, n1 is the initial energy level, and n2 is the final energy level. To solve for lambda, simply move the 1/n2^2 term to the other side of the equation and take the reciprocal of both sides.

3. What is the Rydberg constant?

The Rydberg constant (R) is a physical constant that appears in the Balmer's formula and is used to calculate the wavelengths of spectral lines in the hydrogen spectrum. It has a value of 1.0973731568539 × 10^7 per meter (m^-1).

4. What are energy levels in the context of Balmer's formula?

In Balmer's formula, energy levels refer to the different states that an electron can occupy within a hydrogen atom. The initial energy level (n1) represents the starting position of the electron, while the final energy level (n2) represents the end position after the electron has absorbed or emitted energy.

5. How is Balmer's formula used in science?

Balmer's formula is used in the field of spectroscopy to analyze the light emitted by various sources, such as stars and gases. By calculating the wavelengths of spectral lines using this formula, scientists can identify the elements present in a sample and determine their energy levels. This has many applications in fields such as astrophysics, chemistry, and astronomy.