Maximizing Flight Time: Tips for Adjusting Flaps on a Balsa Wood Glider

• Thread starter yuvlevental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary: The timing could be set so that the glider would start to sink slowly at a certain point, and then the elevator would be turned off to allow it to glide to the ground.
yuvlevental
I need to adjust the flaps on a balsa wood glider so it will fly upward in a spiral, reach a maximum, and fly downward in a spiral. I don't think that the model matters.

Basically, I need to get a glider to stay for a long time in the air.

Any suggestions?

--Thanks, Yuval

Edit: The glider will need to go as least as possible from side to side, though height is unlimited

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yuvlevental said:
I need to get a glider to stay for a long time in the air.
The glider will need to go as least as possible from side to side, though height is unlimited
This is a conflict. The glider will remain in the air longer if allowed to glide downwards in a very larger circular path (or a straight one).

This is an unsual combination. "Free flight" models use some power source, such as a rubber band or a very limited run motor. These use a "timing" device to change the control surfaces, typically the elevator. Flaps on such a model would be excess weight.

Hand launched models are radio controlled. The latest technology is a very strong but light composite (fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar fiber) model that has a peg at the end of one of the wings to allow the glider to be "discus launched"; a person rotates his body combined with a side arm throw, which is a fairly violent launch. There's a switch on the transmitter to control the elevator setting to transition between initial launch, climb out, and glide. The full length ailerons can be moved together to adjust the wing camber, but they are not extended downward as much as flaps would be. For landing, the ailerons are raised to act as "spoilerons" to reduce lift to drag ratio, allowing the glider to sink faster without gaining as much speed.

Here's a link to a simple, but relatively efficient balsa glider:

http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/glider2.html

The 7 degree decalage (incorrectly called incidence in the article) might be too much for a hard throw, if the result was a model that curved beyond vertical.

I don't know if a movable elevator would work better with what ever increse in weight would be required to allow it to move than simply using a fixed elevator setting.

One way to make a moveable elevator would be some type of lightly sprung hinge, and trim tabs on the elevator so that the elevator would have less negative pitch at higher speed.

Another method would be to use some type of timing mechanism that would transition from "launch" mode to "minimum sink" mode after a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I adjust the flaps on my balsa wood glider?

To adjust the flaps on your balsa wood glider, you will need to carefully remove the wing from the body of the glider. Once the wing is separated, you can adjust the flaps by bending them up or down. It is important to make small adjustments and test the glider's flight after each adjustment to find the optimal position for maximum flight time.

2. What is the purpose of adjusting the flaps on a balsa wood glider?

The flaps on a balsa wood glider help to control the lift and drag of the wings, which directly affects the glider's flight time. By adjusting the flaps, you can fine-tune the glider's aerodynamics and increase its overall flight time.

3. Should I adjust the flaps before or after launching the glider?

It is recommended to adjust the flaps before launching the glider. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments and test the glider's flight before sending it off. If you adjust the flaps after launching, it may be difficult to control the glider and make accurate adjustments.

4. How much should I bend the flaps for maximum flight time?

The amount of bend needed for maximum flight time will vary depending on the design and weight of your balsa wood glider. It is best to start with small adjustments and test the glider's flight after each one. Once you find the optimal position, you can make minor adjustments to fine-tune the flaps.

5. Are there any other tips for maximizing flight time on a balsa wood glider?

In addition to adjusting the flaps, there are a few other tips for maximizing flight time on a balsa wood glider. One is to make sure the glider is balanced and not too heavy. You can also try adding a small amount of weight to the nose of the glider to improve its stability. Additionally, practicing and fine-tuning your throwing technique can also greatly impact the glider's flight time.