Taxing Gas Guzzlers Fails to Reduce Emissions in London

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, Sir Mark Moody-Stuart, who was chairman of Royal Dutch Shell from 1998 to 2001, says taxing gas guzzlers has failed to get people to abandon large vehicles. The Daily Telegraph reported Monday that new low emission standards went into effect in London, and fines of $400 a day will be issued to operators of lorries, buses and coaches that fail to meet them. London Mayor Ken Livingstone says the goal is to reduce emissions by 16 percent in areas of the capital where air quality does not meet current European Union standards.
If I took the train, it would easily take well over an hour, instead of 30 mins because the train has to go from my house, all the way down to dc, and the back into maryland. Also, I was at school many times past 2am working on projects. The train and buses stop running after that time. Using them just wouldn't work. I really enjoy driving, so for me its better than sitting on a bus. The parking permit is something like ~200 bucks for an entire year. The metro would be around $5.00 a day just for the train. I don't think public transportation is that cheap around here.

Physics news on Phys.org
gas guzzlers?

some states, I think do this, but add a portion of each year's car's tag for the license fee for how big the engine is---make it exponential (to use a word from a recently locked thread)---so add a fee of, say, $200 to a large hummer (engine size that is) each year, and $0 for a 90cc motorcycle.

I wonder why people want big engined cars, in the UK the maximum speed limit (on motorways) is 70 mph, A roads 60 mph and the rest 40, 30 even 20 mph, one just can
not use the potential performance and, nowadays your average 1600cc engine will last 100,000 miles plus, owning a sports/super car can only be for the posing factor and keeping a minority part of the motor industry open.
4*4s should be left for farmers tradesmen who actually (use) 4wd.

<h2>1. Why does taxing gas guzzlers not reduce emissions in London?</h2><p>Taxing gas guzzlers does not directly reduce emissions because it does not address the root cause of emissions - the use of fossil fuels. While it may discourage some individuals from purchasing gas guzzlers, it does not incentivize them to switch to more sustainable modes of transportation.</p><h2>2. Is there any evidence to support the claim that taxing gas guzzlers does not work?</h2><p>Yes, there have been studies conducted in London and other cities that have implemented a tax on gas guzzlers. These studies have shown that while there may be a temporary decrease in the purchase of gas guzzlers, it does not lead to a long-term reduction in emissions.</p><h2>3. What other solutions are more effective in reducing emissions in London?</h2><p>Implementing policies that promote the use of public transportation, electric or hybrid vehicles, and cycling or walking are more effective in reducing emissions in London. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources and improving infrastructure for these modes of transportation can also have a significant impact.</p><h2>4. Are there any potential drawbacks to taxing gas guzzlers?</h2><p>Yes, there are potential drawbacks to taxing gas guzzlers. It may disproportionately affect low-income individuals who may rely on older, less fuel-efficient vehicles. It can also lead to a decrease in car sales and revenue for car manufacturers, which can have a ripple effect on the economy.</p><h2>5. Does this mean that taxing gas guzzlers is completely ineffective?</h2><p>No, taxing gas guzzlers can still have some impact on reducing emissions. It can serve as a deterrent for some individuals to purchase these vehicles and can also generate revenue that can be used for other sustainability initiatives. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole solution for reducing emissions in London.</p>

1. Why does taxing gas guzzlers not reduce emissions in London?

Taxing gas guzzlers does not directly reduce emissions because it does not address the root cause of emissions - the use of fossil fuels. While it may discourage some individuals from purchasing gas guzzlers, it does not incentivize them to switch to more sustainable modes of transportation.

2. Is there any evidence to support the claim that taxing gas guzzlers does not work?

Yes, there have been studies conducted in London and other cities that have implemented a tax on gas guzzlers. These studies have shown that while there may be a temporary decrease in the purchase of gas guzzlers, it does not lead to a long-term reduction in emissions.

3. What other solutions are more effective in reducing emissions in London?

Implementing policies that promote the use of public transportation, electric or hybrid vehicles, and cycling or walking are more effective in reducing emissions in London. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources and improving infrastructure for these modes of transportation can also have a significant impact.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to taxing gas guzzlers?

Yes, there are potential drawbacks to taxing gas guzzlers. It may disproportionately affect low-income individuals who may rely on older, less fuel-efficient vehicles. It can also lead to a decrease in car sales and revenue for car manufacturers, which can have a ripple effect on the economy.

5. Does this mean that taxing gas guzzlers is completely ineffective?

No, taxing gas guzzlers can still have some impact on reducing emissions. It can serve as a deterrent for some individuals to purchase these vehicles and can also generate revenue that can be used for other sustainability initiatives. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole solution for reducing emissions in London.

Back