Ban professional sports

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not talking about those morons. I despise them as much as you do. They aren't real sports fans in my opinion.
But I think they are in the majority, and I suspect they are the ones the article in the OP is talking about...the ones who have cardiovascular events as a result of watching a game on TV. It seems way worse than when I was a kid too. People seem to go more and more overboard about sports.

It seems way worse than when I was a kid too. People seem to go more and more overboard about sports.
I think that argument is just as fallacious as someone telling me that 50 years ago people ate healthier when it has more to do with the fact that proportion sizes were vastly different.

I'm not talking about those morons. I despise them as much as you do. They aren't real sports fans in my opinion.
Okay, this is where it gets weird. Who in your opinion is a REAL sports fan, then? Because 90% of the people who watch sports do it to RELAX with some food and something to drink.

There are a lot of great websites out there that have some good stuff on strategy backed up with statistical analysis. It definately gives your brain a good workout. I'm sure your view of the sports fan would change drastically if you read up on this and make you realize that not all of us just sit there and blindly watch games in a daze.
Just stop. This isn't making me think that the average sports fan is smart, it's making me think you just have a thing for numbers. It's okay, I do too, but in a different way, that's why I get drawn to RPG's so much.

Anyway, it's boring. I highly doubt the average fan cares about the statistics as much as you do. Something like a batting average maybe, you know, the obvious ones, but as soon as you have to apply some thinking, they quit. Because that's not what they watch sports for.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I think they are in the majority, and I suspect they are the ones the article in the OP is talking about...the ones who have cardiovascular events as a result of watching a game on TV. It seems way worse than when I was a kid too. People seem to go more and more overboard about sports.
Nah, it's not because fans are going overboard, it's because even 20 years ago people exercised (either by just walking from place to place or what not) more often and didn't eat as unhealthily as they do now.

Okay, this is where it gets weird. Who in your opinion is a REAL sports fan, then? Because 90% of the people who watch sports do it to RELAX with some food and something to drink, not to masturbate over numbers.
The antithesis of the grunting sports fan.

Just stop. This isn't making me think that the average sports fan is smart, it's making me think you just have a thing for numbers. It's okay, I do too, but in a different way, that's why I get drawn to RPG's so much.
Why haven't you simplified RPG's in a meaningless manner yet? Oh wait, is it because it's something you enjoy doing? Just a guess, you know?

Anyway, it's boring. I highly doubt the average fan cares about the statistics as much as you do.
You're right. Because all they care about is grunting.

Something like a batting average maybe, you know, the obvious ones, but as soon as you have to apply some thinking, they quit. Because that's not what they watch sports for.
Honestly, I never expected to be in a philosophical debate over someones hobby. I have a feeling this has more to do with the overexposure of sports more than anything else.

Nah, it's not because fans are going overboard, it's because even 20 years ago people exercised (either by just walking from place to place or what not) more often and didn't eat as unhealthily as they do now.
No, people did not eat healthier 20 years ago. That has more to do with proportion sizes drastically increasing.

Why haven't you simplified RPG's in a meaningless manner yet? Oh wait, is it because it's something you enjoy doing? Just a guess, you know?
Close, but no cigar. The reason I didn't simplify them is because they don't need simplifying.

Exhibit A:

http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/

I think that's about as simple as you can get.

Honestly, I never expected to be in a philosophical debate over someones hobby. I have a feeling this has more to do with the overexposure of sports more than anything else.
So what is your definition of a sports "fan" then?

This thread needs to be locked, and has already been reported once. This is really stupid to fight over this pointless crap.

Evo
Mentor
Agreed, the thread is just an argument now.