Banach space as Banach algebra

In summary, Davide is wondering whether a Banach space $B$ can be considered a Banach unitary, not necessarily commutative, algebra by defining some canonical multiplication between the vectors of $B$...Well, no, basically you're extending the Banach space which is itself a topological vector space into an algebra by adding a multiplication between the vectors. Banach space + vector multiplication =/= Banach space.
DavideGenoa
I find, in Kolmogorov-Fomin's Элементы теории функций и функционального анализа, at the end of § 5 of chapter IV, several statement on the spectral radius and the non-emptyness of the spectrum of a linear operator ina Banach space, which are left without proof.
Nevertheless, in Tikhomirov's appendix, the same properties are prooven for non-commutative unitary Banach algebras.
I wonder whether all Banach spaces can be provided with the structure of a unitary (not necessarily commutative) Banach algebras...
##\infty## thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at it in detail, but I doubt it. For example, how would you make Hilbert space into an algebra?

Likes 1 person
I haven't read either of your sources, but the connection between banach spaces and banach algebras seems to be that the space of continuous linear maps on a banach space is a banach algebra. maybe that suffices for your purpose.

Likes 1 person
If that was not clear, the continuous linear operator T on the Banach space B is itself a member of the Banach algebra of operators, and thus the spectrum of T is non empty.

mathwonk said:
I haven't read either of your sources, but the connection between banach spaces and banach algebras seems to be that the space of continuous linear maps on a banach space is a banach algebra. maybe that suffices for your purpose.

Maybe Davide is thinking of a sort of reverse situation. Given a Banach algebra B_A can we always find a Banach space B so that B_A is the algebra of continuous linear maps on B?

but if you read his question, :

"I find, in Kolmogorov-Fomin's Элементы теории функций и функционального анализа, at the end of § 5 of chapter IV, several statement on the spectral radius and the non-emptyness of the spectrum of a linear operator ina Banach space, which are left without proof.
Nevertheless, in Tikhomirov's appendix, the same properties are prooven for non-commutative unitary Banach algebras."

it sounds as if he just wants to know the non emptiness of the spectrum of a linear operator. Or am I missing something?

Likes 1 person
Maybe you're right, mathwonk, but the title says Banach spaces as Banach algebras; can you clarify for us, Davide?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I was wondering whether a Banach space $B$ can be considered a Banach unitary, not necessarily commutative, algebra by defining some canonical multiplication between the vectors of $B$...

Well, no, basically you're extending the Banach space which is itself a topological vector space into an algebra by adding a multiplication between the vectors. Banach space + vector multiplication =/= Banach space.

A Banach algebra is thus an enhancement of a Banach space, a richer mathematical notion.

Likes 1 person
I think OP's question is clear. A Banach algebra is ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+, *\rangle##, where ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+\rangle## is a Banach space and ##*: \mathbb A^2\to \mathbb A## is a binary operation satisfying some properties.

The question is: given a Banach space ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+\rangle##, must there always exist some ##*## such that ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+,*\rangle## is a Banach algebra?

A rephrasing of the question is as follows.
Given any Banach algebra, we can get a Banach space by just forgetting about multiplication. If I tell you a Banach space was built this way, does that give you any information about what kind of Banach algebra you're looking at?

Likes deluks917 and DavideGenoa
To answer your question: I have no idea.

economicsnerd said:
The question is: given a Banach space ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+\rangle##, must there always exist some ##*## such that ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+,*\rangle## is a Banach algebra
Exactly what I meant.
I thank any past, presend and future poster in this thread!

i am puzzled since the question as clarified has absolutely nothing to do with the non emptiness of the spectrum, which apparently motivated it.

Likes 1 person
@mathwonk: Tikhomirov's appendix, which is about Banach's algebras, proves those statements in the case of Banach spaces with multiplication as unitary non-commutative algebras. Kolmogorov-Fomin's text states them without a proof for Banach spaces (without multiplication). I haven't reached those proofs yet. I will check whether those proofs can be valid for Banach spaces without assuming them to be unitary algebras and I'll let you know. Thank you again!

mathwonk said:
That is the case. Cfr. p. 519 here, corollary 2 and theorem 2, for those knowing Russian.
Thank you all!

1. What is a Banach space and how does it relate to Banach algebras?

A Banach space is a complete normed vector space, meaning that it is a vector space equipped with a norm (a way to measure the size of vectors) that has all the properties of a distance function. A Banach algebra is a Banach space that is also equipped with a multiplication operation that is compatible with its norm. This means that the multiplication of two elements in a Banach algebra is also a valid element in the algebra, and the norm of the product is no greater than the product of the norms of the original elements.

2. What are the main applications of Banach spaces and Banach algebras?

Banach spaces and Banach algebras are used in many areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, operator theory, and harmonic analysis. They also have important applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How are Banach algebras different from other types of algebras?

Banach algebras are unique in that they have both algebraic and topological structure. This means that they have a multiplication operation and a norm, which allows for the study of both algebraic and metric properties of the space. In contrast, other types of algebras, such as group algebras or Lie algebras, do not have a norm and are not necessarily complete.

4. What is the significance of the double dual of a Banach space?

The double dual of a Banach space is the space of all continuous linear functionals on the space. It is significant because it is always a Banach space itself and is isometrically isomorphic to the original space. This allows for the use of dual spaces in functional analysis, where the properties of a space can be studied through its dual space.

5. Can all Banach spaces be turned into Banach algebras?

No, not all Banach spaces can be turned into Banach algebras. A Banach space must satisfy certain conditions, such as having a multiplication operation that is compatible with its norm, in order to be a Banach algebra. Additionally, there are some Banach spaces that are not closed under multiplication and therefore cannot be Banach algebras.