Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banach space as Banach algebra

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    I find, in Kolmogorov-Fomin's Элементы теории функций и функционального анализа, at the end of § 5 of chapter IV, several statement on the spectral radius and the non-emptyness of the spectrum of a linear operator ina Banach space, which are left without proof.
    Nevertheless, in Tikhomirov's appendix, the same properties are prooven for non-commutative unitary Banach algebras.
    I wonder whether all Banach spaces can be provided with the structure of a unitary (not necessarily commutative) Banach algebras...
    ##\infty## thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't looked at it in detail, but I doubt it. For example, how would you make Hilbert space into an algebra?

4. Sep 11, 2014 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't read either of your sources, but the connection between banach spaces and banach algebras seems to be that the space of continuous linear maps on a banach space is a banach algebra. maybe that suffices for your purpose.

5. Sep 12, 2014 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that was not clear, the continuous linear operator T on the Banach space B is itself a member of the Banach algebra of operators, and thus the spectrum of T is non empty.

6. Sep 12, 2014 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe Davide is thinking of a sort of reverse situation. Given a Banach algebra B_A can we always find a Banach space B so that B_A is the algebra of continuous linear maps on B?

7. Sep 12, 2014 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but if you read his question, :

"I find, in Kolmogorov-Fomin's Элементы теории функций и функционального анализа, at the end of § 5 of chapter IV, several statement on the spectral radius and the non-emptyness of the spectrum of a linear operator ina Banach space, which are left without proof.
    Nevertheless, in Tikhomirov's appendix, the same properties are prooven for non-commutative unitary Banach algebras."

it sounds as if he just wants to know the non emptiness of the spectrum of a linear operator. Or am I missing something?

8. Sep 12, 2014 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you're right, mathwonk, but the title says Banach spaces as Banach algebras; can you clarify for us, Davide?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. Sep 13, 2014 #8
    I was wondering whether a Banach space $B$ can be considered a Banach unitary, not necessarily commutative, algebra by defining some canonical multiplication between the vectors of $B$...

10. Sep 13, 2014 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no, basically you're extending the Banach space which is itself a topological vector space into an algebra by adding a multiplication between the vectors. Banach space + vector multiplication =/= Banach space.

A Banach algebra is thus an enhancement of a Banach space, a richer mathematical notion.

11. Sep 14, 2014 #10
    I think OP's question is clear. A Banach algebra is ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+, *\rangle##, where ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+\rangle## is a Banach space and ##*: \mathbb A^2\to \mathbb A## is a binary operation satisfying some properties.

The question is: given a Banach space ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+\rangle##, must there always exist some ##*## such that ##\langle \mathbb A, ||\cdot||,+,*\rangle## is a Banach algebra?

A rephrasing of the question is as follows.
    Given any Banach algebra, we can get a Banach space by just forgetting about multiplication. If I tell you a Banach space was built this way, does that give you any information about what kind of Banach algebra you're looking at?

12. Sep 14, 2014 #11
    To answer your question: I have no idea.

13. Sep 15, 2014 #12
    Exactly what I meant.
    I thank any past, presend and future poster in this thread!

14. Sep 15, 2014 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i am puzzled since the question as clarified has absolutely nothing to do with the non emptiness of the spectrum, which apparently motivated it.

15. Sep 17, 2014 #14
    @mathwonk: Tikhomirov's appendix, which is about Banach's algebras, proves those statements in the case of Banach spaces with multiplication as unitary non-commutative algebras. Kolmogorov-Fomin's text states them without a proof for Banach spaces (without multiplication). I haven't reached those proofs yet. I will check whether those proofs can be valid for Banach spaces without assuming them to be unitary algebras and I'll let you know. Thank you again!

16. Sep 24, 2014 #15
    That is the case. Cfr. p. 519 here, corollary 2 and theorem 2, for those knowing Russian.
    Thank you all!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook