1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banach's Lemma

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't exactly homework per se, i just am having a hard time figuring out how to solve these types of questions generally...

Consider the 3x3 matrix A = diag[1,3,1]. Show that this matrix is invertible no matter what its dimensions are. Determine an upper bound on [itex]||A^{-1}||_{∞}[/itex] and on the condition number of A

3. The attempt at a solution

So from what i've picked up on so far, i start out:

A = D + E

where D contains all values of A that are in the same row and column (ie. 1,1... 2,2... etc) and E contains all values of A that are not on the diagonal.

Next, say that B = [itex]D^{-1}[/itex] * E and A = D(I + B)

It follows that [itex]||B||_{∞}[/itex] < 1 because of diagonal dominance. Hence A is invertible (I have no idea what diagonal dominance means in this context, i just wrote down what i'm supposed to say in order to get marks here - not much explanation has been given on this part).

How do i find the condition number and upper bounds?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    So apparently the condition number is determined by adding the infinity norm of A with the infinity norm of its inverse - is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted