Banana Poisonous? Experts Weigh In on Myth

• Medical
  • Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a myth circulating that the bottom most part of a banana is poisonous, but this is not true. The image attached that claims to confirm this is misleading and there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Supermarkets and other retailers would have warning signs if it were true, and there have been no reports of banana fatalities or banana-related suicides.
gracy
I am not sure whether it's right place to ask it,but anyways.
Actually I have heard that bottom most part of banana is poisonous.There is an image confirming this
which I have attached here.I am really worried ,my mother said she used to eat this so called"poisonous part"It is just a myth.
poisonous part.jpg

What you experts think?

Biology news on Phys.org
I haven't heard of this before and the description 'absolute poison' in that image implies there to be something present in a banana which is harmful in the extreme to the extent of being lethal.
If that was the case I am sure that supermarkets and other retailers would be placing large red warning signs wherever bananas are sold,
and news reports of banana fatalities and even banana suicide would be common.

gracy said:
I am not sure whether it's right place to ask it,but anyways.
Actually I have heard that bottom most part of banana is poisonous.There is an image confirming this
which I have attached here.I am really worried ,my mother said she used to eat this so called"poisonous part"It is just a myth.
View attachment 85281
What you experts think?
No it is not poisonous.

Last edited:
Likes gracy

1. Are bananas poisonous?

No, bananas are not poisonous. They are a safe and nutritious fruit that is consumed by millions of people worldwide.

2. Is there any truth to the myth that banana peels are poisonous?

No, there is no truth to this myth. Banana peels are not poisonous and are commonly used in cooking and as a fertilizer for plants.

3. What is the origin of the myth that bananas are poisonous?

The myth that bananas are poisonous likely originated from a book published in the 1970s that claimed banana peels contained a hallucinogenic chemical. However, this claim has been debunked and there is no scientific evidence to support it.

4. Can eating too many bananas be harmful?

Like any food, consuming excessive amounts of bananas can lead to some negative side effects such as stomach upset or an increased risk of developing kidney stones. However, it is highly unlikely that eating too many bananas would be harmful for the average person.

5. Are there any health benefits to consuming bananas?

Yes, bananas are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They are also high in potassium, which is important for maintaining heart health and proper nerve and muscle function. Eating bananas as part of a well-balanced diet can provide numerous health benefits.