Band gaps - fused silica glass

• Thread starter accountkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band Glass
In summary, to equal or exceed the band gap of fused silica glass, the minimum number of photons of 800 nm light is 2.588.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Glass is transparent to visibile light under normal conditions; however, at extremely high intensities, glass will absorb most of the light incident upon it. This works through a process known as multiphoton absorption. In this process, several photons are absorbed at the same time. If very intense light whose photons carry 2 eV of energy is shined onto a material with a band gap of 4 eV, that light can be absorbed through two-photon absorption, because two photons have the right amount of energy to bridge the band gap. What is the minimum number of photons of 800 nm light that are needed to equal or exceed the band gap of fused silica glass?

Homework Equations

E = hf
c = Yf ... (I mean the Y here to be delta)

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy of a photon with a wavelength of 800 nm is:
f = c/Y = c/(800E-9) = 3.7375E14 Hz
f = 3.7375E14 Hz

E = hf = h(3.37375E14) = 2.476E-19 Joules
E = 2.476E-19 J

The energy of a 800-nm photon is 2.476E-19 Joules per photon.

... The band gap is 4 eV, which = 6.408E-19 J

So I do the band gap energy divided by the energy of one photon to give me the number of photons, right? ...
(6.408E-19 Joules)/ [2.476E-19 Joules/photon] = 2.588 photons.

But MasteringPhysics says no. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is 0.588 of a photon?

Well, yes, that's a bit crazy. But I didn't know any other way to do it, so I just tried putting in whatever I was getting just to try it. Sometimes, MasteringPhysics gives tips on how to go from our wrong answer to the right one.

So then, my method is wrong. How do I do it?

A single photon is the base object with energy [tex]hc/\lambda[/tex]. If 2 photons with this wavelength are not enough to bridge the band gap, what is the minimum number of photons that do?

Ohh, I see now. The 2.4831E-19 J is per TWO photons, not per one photon. So then my answer would be 6. Thank you for the extra help!

No the band gap is equal to 2.588 times the energy of a single photon. What is the smallest number of photons such that their total energy is equal or greater than the band gap?

1. What is a band gap in fused silica glass?

The band gap in fused silica glass refers to the energy difference between the valence band (highest occupied energy level) and the conduction band (lowest unoccupied energy level) in the material. This gap determines the electrical and optical properties of the glass.

2. How is the band gap of fused silica glass determined?

The band gap of fused silica glass is typically determined through spectroscopic techniques such as UV-Vis spectroscopy or photoluminescence spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the absorption or emission of light at different energy levels, which can then be used to calculate the band gap.

3. What is the significance of the band gap in fused silica glass?

The band gap of fused silica glass plays a crucial role in determining the material's electrical and optical properties. It affects the glass's ability to transmit light, its refractive index, and its electrical conductivity. Understanding the band gap is essential in designing and optimizing the use of fused silica glass in various applications.

4. Can the band gap of fused silica glass be modified?

Yes, the band gap of fused silica glass can be modified through various methods such as doping with other elements or altering the glass's composition. These modifications can result in changes in the glass's properties, making it suitable for specific applications.

5. What are some common uses of fused silica glass with different band gaps?

The band gap of fused silica glass can be tailored for different applications. A wide band gap is often used in UV optics, protective coatings, and semiconductor devices, while a narrow band gap is ideal for infrared optics, laser cavities, and photovoltaic cells. Intermediate band gaps may be used in fiber optics and biomedical applications.