1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Band Pass Filters

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1
    does anyone know the formula for band pass filters.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2
    band pass

Well, if it is the ideal RC filters case, then is just the combination of the low pass and the high pass. I can't remember the formula. I think you can also make CL band pass filters. Which case are you interested in?
  4. Dec 14, 2003 #3
    There's no real Formula per-se, as there are many types of filters.
    Active,passive, wide band,narrow band, variable q, It all depends on your application. Do you know what you want or do you have an application in mind?
  5. Dec 14, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are some dozen different kinds of filters used in industry, and, if none of them suit you, you can make your own.

- Warren
  6. Dec 15, 2003 #5
    the formula i need is for a passive band pass filter
  7. Dec 15, 2003 #6
    Blair , I'm not trying to be critical, but you've posted 3 times in relation to passive filters and alluded to thier importance to your education.I believe You're looking for answers rather then help understanding the method.If you cannot grasp the basic ideas and
    math of this material and seek only answers to homework, you will surely be lost when it comes to much harder concepts. So do yourself a favor learn the math , buy a casio scientific calculator one that has automatic decimal translation ( I.E push the k button for Kilo, the m button for micro) they sell for < $20 programmable is better you just call up the routine and plug in the variables.

In direct answer to your question ...RC or RLC? An RC is basically two series t filters with more components then an RLC.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  8. Dec 15, 2003 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to look into two-terminal-pair networks analysis to get a paticular formula for your circuit. The best way I've found in designing a filter is to do a little trial and error with the components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?